FN Herstal Firearms banner

Scar 17s Optics for hunting and casual shooting

6K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  IRON SIGHT 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and am currently waiting on my new Scar 17s FDE to arrive!

I have been searching the web and combing over the 1,000's of different optics there are to pick from. I cant freakin decide on an optic.
ACOG's, EOTech Red Dot w/ Magnifier's seem to be the most popular. However, certain optics are designed for certain scenarios.

My typical use for the rifle will be as follows:

Casual shooting at the range and hunting Hog in Central Florida on a buddys ranch. Might do a little dear hunting as well with it from a stand. We usually hunt the hogs by patrolling the property via a raised pickup bed with chairs, in low light or spotlighting in darkness.
With that being said, does anybody have any recommendations as to what optic I should go with?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Travis

See less See more
#2 ·
If you'll be doing short-range only(under 100 yrds), then an Acog or eotech would work. If you plan on doing 200+ yrds, then I would suggest more magnification. Perhaps a 3-9x scope.

I run a 2.5-10X and a 3-9x on my rifles.

The main indicator is the distance you'll be shooting the most. You can always get both and just swap them out with quick-detach mounts.

#3 ·
thanks for the feedback.
Distance will always be different. And thats the problem I am running into.
It just depends where the Hog is when we see it. It could be 0-50 yds, or it could be 200+. Just depends....
Burris and Nightforce seem to have some very good quality products out there.

#4 ·
I run a NF 2.5-10x32 mildot C291 scope on my black 17. On the other, I run a Leupold 3-9x36 mildot MR/T Mark 4. Great scopes for 0 - 300 yrds which is all that I use it for. I'm sure I can stretch it out a bit farther but never needed to.

#11 ·
For hunting coyotes, hogs, deer, or whatever it is that you'll be going for, you don't need a tactical 1500-3000 dollar optic. Look at leupold, or better yet redfield for a less expensive view of your proposed target. Just my humble opinion. I have a 3-9x52mm redfield revenge with hunter reticle on its way to me as we speak. This will be my hog/ coyote scope. It has a cool feature that you could find very helpful whilst hunting hog. Check it out. :)

Reactions: travis.cole84
#12 ·

As in, just the EoTech. Tried the magnifier and decided that it wasn't as useful as I'd initially thought (and that's not because it somehow hindered the .308's capabilities). I just got tired of the damn thing. That's not to say I'm somehow against using a magnified optic on my SCAR. Not at all. I think more than anything, the little kid in me just gets a big ass grin from using a wrecking ball on targets within a 300m radius.

When you think about it... it could also be because I'm a nut. Either way, I'm most certainly enjoying myself! :wink:

Reactions: travis.cole84
#13 ·
My uses are near identical to yours. I started with a 3.5x ACOG but settled on a NF 2.5-10x32 with NP-1 reticle. I have previously used the mil-dot reticle but the reticle was too thin/faint for hunting in brush and shadowy areas. Hope this helps.

The ACOG was awesome but lacked the extra magnification and 100 yard+ accuracy potential. I like shooting long distance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.