FN Herstal Firearms banner

scar 17s waiting game

Tags
17s scar17s
4K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  khailin 
#1 ·
I am new to this forum, but thank you to everybody on here, I found a bunch of great information here which ultimately helped me purchase my Scar 17s. I have a bit of experience with FN's, I've shot the fnp45, fnp40, five-seven pistol, m16a4, and a few FAL's. I bought an FDE off gunbroker from Northern Firearms after I saw the thread last week on here. They got my FFL information and payment today so it should be shipping today or tomorrow.

One of my concerns was magazine availability, obviously I'm not going to walk into a store and find magazines, but I didn't have much of a problem. I ordered a pair of FDE mags from Expert Outfitters on gunbroker and when I called to pay the owner offered to sell me extra FDE magazines for $32.50, so I picked up 6 magazines. I don't know if they do that deal for everybody, but I certainly feel lucky to get FDE mags at that price.

I got a case of surplus argentine NATO 7.62x51, I ordered a few different tangodown scar rail covers, the tangodown stubby vfg, and an HSP INFORCE WML. I use a surefire millenium on my m4, but I want to keep the scar lightweight so this light looks good for that purpose.

I am probably getting the vickers sling and the blue force gear wire adapter in the back and a VTAC qd mount for the front.

I am going to have to save for an optic so for now I will run something I have on hand like an aimpoint pro or an ACOG.

I was originally saving up to buy an FAL but by the time I kitted it out with a railed top cover, and forend I was approaching SCAR territory $$ to make something it is not designed to be. So I decided to spend a little extra and get the SCAR 17 for the better accuracy, lighter weight, better balance, monolithic upper, etc. Also as much as everybody seems to complain about the SCAR trigger it is better than the DSA FAL trigger in my opinion.

Now I just have to wait for everything to ship and bide my time staring at everybody's 17s.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the incoming SCAR!

Reactions: Fmj556x45
#6 ·
Congrats on the getting the FDE 17! and welcome to the fam

#10 ·
Welcome!!! :)

#13 ·
Thanks for all the kind welcomes. I got the tracking number for my SCAR and it won't be getting to the FFL until friday end of business. I hope it gets there early so I can pick it up before the weekend. I am afraid they might be closed till tuesday because of labor day weekend.

#18 ·
Holy crap! That one actually matches :-D ! Nice score man!

#19 ·
Congrats :?

In regard to your planned sling: I have a number of Blue Force slings, but the wire adapter didn't work out in practicality for me on the SCAR. I ended up with simply looping the sling through the butt-stock hole (that doesn't sound right! :happyrotfl4vi0:)

Seriously though, the stiff wire is always hanging there, and always got in my face when I did a cheek weld. I had to keep moving it out of the way.

#21 ·

My main goal was to keep this gun lightweight and balanced. Secondary goal is to maintain reliability and avoid any conflicting gear that might cause a malfunction.

I used the Tangodown stubby grip because I use my VFG as more of a hand stop, but I also like to use it against barricades to steady my shot. I have the bigger Tangodown grip and It is massive. The added value of the Tangodown grip is waterproof storage for a CR123 battery.

I put a small section of Tangodown SCAR panel forward of the grip.

Behind the grip is a Viking Tactics QD sling mount just forward of the receiver. This keeps my sling out of the way of my front end controls and also keeps the sling clear of fouling the charging handle.

The sling is a padded Blue Force Gear Vickers Combat Applications Sling (VCAS). This sling is very comfortable, easy to adjust on the fly, and has no hanging tails.

My weapons light is a Haley Strategic Partners Inforce WML. This light uses a single cr123 battery and produces 200 lumens. It had a momentary only light switch to maintain light discipline. 200 lumens is a good balance of throw and not to bright to blind yourself. The light has a relatively wide throw. I have the light mounted as far forward on the 9 o’clock rail as possible. It does cast a slim barrel shadow. This is one of the lightest small form factor weapons lights I have used. This is the future as LED flashlights continue to get smaller, brighter, and more efficient.

#24 ·
This is probably a super NOOB question but the rear folding sight came out of the box in the 2nd slot on the top picatinny rail. Is this the standard set up? On my AR's I usually run the BUIS all the way back to the rear for more eye relief on my scopes.

I was just wondering if there is a reason they do this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.