Physicist question - Page 2

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Thanks Tree10Thanks

Thread: Physicist question

Quote Originally Posted by prairiefire View Post
    Lots of ways to get the snot kicked out of us!
    Some of us more than others. If it wasn't for the risk to the elderly and critically ill I'd enjoy watching the chaos for the first couple of months at least. The idea that we deploy unhardened systems reliant on cheap imported chipsets for critical infrastructure boggles the mind.

We never dreamed of such reckless behavior even 30 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by M1P90 View Post
    I think most of the people in the world ie... Middle east, North Korea, China,... aren't addicted to using electronics and electricity like the USA. An EMP won't hurt them like it would the USA.
    An Opium farmer in Afghanistan won't even notice an EMP went off let alone anyone in North Korea.
    May not affect most of them but it would sure take out the North Korean and Chinese hackers and severely impact their use of cyber warfare.

Quote Originally Posted by vertigosol View Post
    Ground based emp bombs are expensive and have limited range. The real emp threats come from detonating a thermonuclear explosion above the mesosphere to create a ionic field
    Vertigosol is absolutely correct a detonation of thermonuclear explosion from a specified height, does massive damage and ground based EMP(s) are insufficient for large scale incapacitation.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by damoal1 View Post
    May not affect most of them but it would sure take out the North Korean and Chinese hackers and severely impact their use of cyber warfare.
    The reason for EMP(s) vary dramatically but an EMP wouldn't be used for cyber warfare, it would be integrated for total economic downfall & the nation(s) effected, would be back in the stone age as far as technology. Thereafter, everything that creates runs off electricity would be useless, then people would more than likely suffer and die from lack of food, water and disease. An EMP if deployed correctly = DEVASTATION on a very large scale!

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    Makes you want to join the Steampunk crowd. They love steam engines and that whole time period. Choo Choo
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    "If you wish for peace, prepare for war"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckRogers2000 View Post
    Cost is one downside. Profit may be another. Which companies would be interested in producing such a weapon? How much profit could they charge?

A MUCH, MUCH more likely scenario is a natural calamity, such as a coronal mass ejection. Our power grid is extremely vulnerable because we only have a few of the huge transformers as replacements. The cost and space real estate is apparently too great to have enough on standby.
    Those huge transformers can handle an EMP, the windings are designed to handle huge currant loads. They would be able to with stand a short current pulse. An EMP destroys microelectronics, that have thinner than human hair connections. Those connections open up like a fuse does, with the current created with a large EMP. The US Military has EMP hardened electronics.

The issue with the power grid is the electronics running the systems, not the power side of things.
    M1P90 and prairiefire thanked this.
    AMP PS90 trigger install:

I, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

Jan. 20, 2017 FREEDOM!!!

Aluminum foil make a really good Faraday Cage. Don't believe me. Wrap your cell phone in a wad of Aluminum foil and see if it rings.

Using this method you can wrap a few hand held radios and such in foil, place them in a galvanized trash can and now you have a very effective double shielded faraday cage around your electronics. Keep in mind that the stuff inside cannot be in direct contact with the can. Some non conductive styrafoam to keep your inner pkg near the center is best. If your worried about the perfect fit on your lid us 3M 1181 copper tape with conductive acrylic adhesive to seal the lid. And if you really want to go overboard. Line a larger metal trash can and drop your first can into it. Same rules apply; metal from inner can cannot be in contact with the metal of the outer can. Seal lid with conductive copper tape and now you have some serious military grade emp proffing.
    SONYtec thanked this.
    "I saw some girl texting and driving the other day and it really pissed me off, so I rolled down my window and threw my beer at her!" LOLz

"If I don't shoot you now, you're never going to learn." ~ me

Quote Originally Posted by little_scrapper View Post
    Aluminum foil make a really good Faraday Cage. Don't believe me. Wrap your cell phone in a wad of Aluminum foil and see if it rings.

Using this method you can wrap a few hand held radios and such in foil, place them in a galvanized trash can and now you have a very effective double shielded faraday cage around your electronics. Keep in mind that the stuff inside cannot be in direct contact with the can. Some non conductive styrafoam to keep your inner pkg near the center is best. If your worried about the perfect fit on your lid us 3M 1181 copper tape with conductive acrylic adhesive to seal the lid. And if you really want to go overboard. Line a larger metal trash can and drop your first can into it. Same rules apply; metal from inner can cannot be in contact with the metal of the outer can. Seal lid with conductive copper tape and now you have some serious military grade emp proffing.
    Exactly. Must be completely sealed, as if it was to be hermetically sealed, but electrically connected at every seam.

Like those containers of ammo that are completely soldered shut.
    AMP PS90 trigger install:

I, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

Jan. 20, 2017 FREEDOM!!!

Also! ESD Bags! Good quality ESD bags by itself can provide up to 50dB of attenuation.
    "I saw some girl texting and driving the other day and it really pissed me off, so I rolled down my window and threw my beer at her!" LOLz

"If I don't shoot you now, you're never going to learn." ~ me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links