New FNP-45 releases slide if you insert a full mag

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree2Thanks

Thread: New FNP-45 releases slide if you insert a full mag

New FNP-45 releases slide if you insert a full mag

I just got an FNP-45 USG Stainless, brought it home, cleaned it and took it to the range to try it out. About halfway through shooting, I guess I inserted the mag a little harder than I had previously because as soon as it was slapped home, the slide dropped chambering a round.

This took me by surprise because I've never had a gun behave this way before. Should my slide drop when slapping a new mag in with a little force? It seems to do it more reliably with a full mag, but it'll do it with just one round in the mag with a little harder slap on the bottom of the mag.

It will also do this with an empty mag if you tape the mag follower down so the slide hold-open tab on the mag follower doesn't engage the slide catch.

This doesn't seem like the safest thing in the world and I'll be calling FN tomorrow to see if the gun needs to be looked at, but I wanted to see what other owners' experience is with this issue to make sure I'm not being overly paranoid about a new gun.

Either way, I bought it from Davidson's so it should be covered under their guarantee (or FN's warranty). I just wanted to see if this was normal or not.

I've had it happen maybe 10 times.

Initially, it took me by surprise.

My guess as to what is happening is that the slide stop is right on the edge and when you put the new mag in, the force is enough to jiggle the slide stop down.

It could be weak mag springs that cause it. If it happens a lot, contact FN, but if it happens rarely, I wouldn't worry too much about it (it hasn't happened to me in the past 1000-1500 rounds, so it might just be a combination of the recoil spring needing to break in and mag springs that aren't the strongest. My gun has 2200 rounds or so through it BTW).
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

Thanks... glad it's not just me.

I'll probably give it another run through tomorrow (I have a number of friends who REALLY want to shoot it) and throw at least a few hundred rounds through it before making a "send it in" decision.

Love the gun tho... I'm incredibly glad I found one. (USGs are hard to come by here, so I ended up having to order from GoG)

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

It is supposed to do that. Most modern euro-guns do it. Hk, Sig, etc. Faster to get gun back into battery after reload.

Retired Moderator
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanTSX
    It is supposed to do that. Most modern euro-guns do it. Hk, Sig, etc. Faster to get gun back into battery after reload.
    I don't think so.

I can't speak for the HK line but I own a lot of Sigs and they don't do it and if they did I'd send them to the factory and have them fixed. They are not designed to operate that way.

If your finger is anywhere close to the trigger it's an accident waiting to happen.

As great as these pistols are, I'm finding the mag springs are crap! It is not supposed to do that. I ended up taking one of my mags apart and gave the front side of the spring a small stretch to help lift the slide lock. Works great now.

Take the slide off and then insert a empty mag, notice that the lever that touches the empty mag is not pushed all the way up. If you lift the slide lock up you can see the mag follower rise a bit.

I have to agree that many of these FN magazines seem to have spring related issues out of the box. Keep in mind also that there is reverse tension on the slide release pushing down against the mag follower. Too much force could be exhibited in that direction also, so when a bump to the pistol occurs it overcomes the friction on the slide release notch.

At one point I sent an email to Wolff (the maker of aftermarket mag springs) about the FNP. They said to send in one of my magazines so they could look into making springs for them. The problem is that I'm not willing to part with one of my mags with the possibility of never seeing it again. Maybe someone else is willing to do it. It would be awesome to have that option for replacement instead of buying a whole new mag. I would bet they could sell a bunch of them.

Quote Originally Posted by B52U
    Keep in mind also that there is reverse tension on the slide release pushing down against the mag follower.
    Yes, and that spring is very stout.

So, what I'm getting here is that this is relatively common and might be an issue with my mags.

What about when I lock the slide release with my finger? It should be all the way up at that point. It still does it.

I'm thinking there might be some issues with this thing. I'm going to call FN tomorrow... missed them today.

I'm not getting what all the fuss is about.

I've always considered it a feature of the FNPs, both my 9 and 45 do it.

When I shoot competitively, I consider it an advantage during mag changes, I count on it.

And yes, I know guys with HKs and Sigs that have this issue,and like it.
    FN47 thanked this.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links