FNS Compatibility Thread

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Thanks Tree9Thanks

Thread: FNS Compatibility Thread

Lightbulb FNS Compatibility Thread

Hello FrieNds,

I have a few different FNS pistols and interchange some parts on them. Does anyone know what parts are interchangeable on FNS pistols?

As far as I know:
    FNS-40 slide works on a FNS-9 frame. I do this.
    FNS-9L slide fits on normal FNS-9 frame.

I saw a guy online who attached his FNS-9L slide to his FNS-9C frame and claimed to have fired it. I don't yet have the courage to try this. Any ideas about this?

Also, does anyone know if the FNS-9L barrel will work in the FNS-9 4"? It seems to fit in mine, but I haven't test fired it yet.

I can say that FNS-40/FNS-9 mags will fit in all of the FNS pistols and work if you have the correct slide.

One tip I have: 509 tactical magazine baseplates fit on FNS mags. I put one on my FNS-9c carry mag and it is the most comfortable and concealable mag I have now. Also, the 24-rd 509 mags work in the FNS-9 and FNS-9C.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ikarus1 and FN47 thanked this.

Whenever the FNS line was originally introduced they offered a 9mm/40S&W combo. It's still listed at Cheaper Than Dirt even though it's unlikely they'll ever be distributed again.

Putting a 9L barrel in a standard 9 slide should be no issue, other than looking a little goofy, as the extra barrel length will just stick out the end of the slide like a threaded barrel.

Midwest Gun Works lists different part codes (part numbers?) for the 9c unlock block and the standard FNS unlock block (I'm assuming the long slide uses the standard part), the fire control assembly also has a different code for the safetied version but uses the same code for the non-safetied version, so using the 9L slide on the 9c frame, even if it does seem to all go together properly, might be less advised.
    FNcyborg thanked this.

Personally, I wouldn't mix parts even if they appear to fit fine. I mean I see no problem with stuff like baseplates, but when you start doing stuff like putting a long barrel and/or slide on a compact and vice-versa you're just asking for problems
    Last edited by FNS-9C; 12-21-2018 at 04:46 PM.
    FNcyborg and col_temp thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by FNS-9C View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't mix parts even if they appear to fit fine. I mean I see no problem with stuff like baseplates, but when you start doing stuff like putting a long barrel and/or slide on a compact and vice-versa you're just asking for problems
    A big +1 to that. Why look to create a dangerous problem by doing something silly.
    FNcyborg thanked this.
    Paris

You can never be too prepared.

Outside of baseplates i wouldn't mix and match
    FNcyborg thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by FNcyborg View Post
    Hello FrieNds,

One tip I have: 509 tactical magazine baseplates fit on FNS mags. I put one on my FNS-9c carry mag and it is the most comfortable and concealable mag I have now. Also, the 24-rd 509 mags work in the FNS-9 and FNS-9C.
    I have done the same thing with the 509 baseplate on the FNS compact magazines. The extended lip on the standard FNS magazine baseplates doesn't make sense for a concealed carry pistol.
    FNcyborg thanked this.

When fitting a FN 509 24rd magazine to a FNS-9c, what combination of sleeves are required/work, if they do at all? For example could a FNS base plate go on the bottom and use two of the sleeves from the 17rd mags? Or one FNS-9c sleeve and the sleeve that comes with the 24rd? (and in that case not remove the baseplate)?

Can the FNS-9c be adapted to .40 cal, to effectively become a FNC-40c?

If so, what would be the parts list?
    -FNC-40c barrel

The 9c/40c recoil spring assembly is the same. The fire control assembly, same. Unlock block, striker, trigger, takedown lever, slide stop, mag release are same part numbers. I see the extractor-LCI is different.

Are the slides the same and will the 9mm extractor work on the 40?
    NRA Life Member
    If people can't have guns, they shouldn't have cars
    FN & Brownings: 5.7x28mm, 12ga, 20ga
    Others: Pardini, Kimber, Clark-Custom, SIG, HOWA, Tikka

Quote Originally Posted by FN47
    Are the slides the same and will the 9mm extractor work on the 40?
    The barrel diameters should be different -- and if they're not, that would be different from the other FN semi-autos. (And, if the diameters are different, the slides are different, if only with regard to the opening on the front through which the barrel protrudes.) Since the barrels aren't interchangeable, whether the 9mm extractor would work is not relevant.

Another member here has both the 9c and the 40c, and has commented that the frames (or, if I misunderstood, the slides or frames/slides, are subtly different, as the two models can't share the same holster. (That is different from the FNS-9/40 or the FNS-9L/40L, which all share the same frame and all other frame and slide specs -- except for the opening on the front of the slide.)

Magazines for the 9mm and .40 models have the same physical dimensions, but are slightly different -- the feed lip gap is different, and it may be that the folloowers are slightly different, too. I've found that .40 mags feeding 9mm hardball shot fine when running a 9mm conversion barrel in an FNS-40, but hollowpoint ammo hits the feed ramp at a different angle using the .40 mag, and some HP brands can BITE into the feed ramp and not feed. Don't know how a 9mm magazine would do when trying to feed a .40 barrel. (I have 9 mags and should be able to check how they feed in a 40 but I don't have a .40 FNS-40c.) The 9c/40c barrels are slightly different design than the full-size and long slide models.)

If your goal is to have a FNS-40c, your best bet might be 1) to find someone who wants to trade their 40c for a 9c, or 2) sell your 9c outright (but don't trade it to a gun shop), and buy a 40c. I expect the prices, which have already dropped a good bit over the past two years, to be even lower now that they're being discontinued. 3) Maybe keeping what you've got and buying a used 40c would work, too, as having a used FN handgun is not a problem: the warranty is the same, whether you're the original buyer or a subsequent owner.
    Last edited by WaltSherrill; 02-10-2019 at 09:00 PM.
    FN47 thanked this.

Thanks Walt I think I get it now. I can put a 9 conversion in a 40 more likely than a 40 in a 9 because of the outside diameter of the barrel

I'm not interested in getting rid of the 9c but was curious of expanding what ammo it can chew. One of my glock buddies swaps barrels between 40 and 9 which gave me the idea, but he must have a glock 40 with a 9mm barrel made to fit a 40 then ...
    NRA Life Member
    If people can't have guns, they shouldn't have cars
    FN & Brownings: 5.7x28mm, 12ga, 20ga
    Others: Pardini, Kimber, Clark-Custom, SIG, HOWA, Tikka

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links