Newbie’s Guide to Trouble Free Ownership of the FNS.
1. Check the contents of the storage case (P.3).
2. Read the owner’s manual….
3. Initial Cleaning of Pistol (P.15, P.29-38).
4. Mark magazines in order to tell them apart.
5. Pull slide back & lock, leave open for one week or rack the slide. *
6. Load magazines for one week.
7. Buy quality ammo (+P optional). **
8. Many people recommend a 400-500 round break-in. ***
9. Clean and lubricate pistol after each use with quality products. ****
10. Keep a round count.
11. Clean magazines based on use, quality of ammo, conditions (dirt, sand, etc).
12. Enjoy…. Oh, I almost forgot don’t fire the pistol like in the movies. *****
*Working the slide by hand (see P.25 Figure 13) while watching TV is another option.
**FNS-9 People have reported problems with 115 gr ammo during break-in. Use more powerful ammo and/or higher grain bullets 124 gr-158 gr. Yes, 158 gr does exist but is very hard to find. FNS-40 bullet weight is not an issue (NO 40 S&W +P).
*** The 400-500 round break-in period is based on FNS forum experience.
**** Over/Under lubrication can cause function problems (FTE, FTF, etc). A pistol that is not properly maintained will also malfunction.
***** This is a safety issue reported at ranges and turning your pistol to the side will eject the cartridges at your face/head. Improper-Hold (Limp-Wristing) the pistol may cause function problems (reported in the forum) and can do the same thing.