FNX 45 Safety Issue (non tactical)

FN Forum

Google Search
Thanks Tree6Thanks
  • 3 Post By LESTER
  • 3 Post By FN47

Thread: FNX 45 Safety Issue (non tactical)

FNX 45 Safety Issue (non tactical)

Hello FN Forum this is my first post, I've been a longtime lurker.

Background: I purchased my FNX 45 two years ago. It's a model that has the tiny hex screw in the right safety lever not sure if this matters but I read that this meant it was in produced later than the original fnx 45's that launched.
    Work had me busy so after two years I am finally able to break it in and start practicing my pistol manual of arms. The FNX 45 has had no issues so far it's just short of 250 rounds fired and I followed the new FNX user guide found on this forum.
    I'm a greener pistol shooter just getting into it practicing my stance, sight alignment, grip, and et cetera. While practicing my pistol draw from safe to safety off and then trigger pull I noticed an issue.

Issue: My safety lever can be depressed farther than its normal resting point. If I press down too hard on the safety when toggling it from safe to safety off the hammer can be sent forward without me pulling the trigger.
    I wasn't able to find anyone else online who's had this issue please let me know if there's any relevant information online regarding this. I'm very concerned because in a tense situation or even in a non tense situation at the range I could accidentally discharge my weapon.

Theory:
    My theory is that the safety bar that is used to prevent the trigger from traveling backwards is getting pushed up into the trigger group when the safety levers are being depressed and hitting the sensitive pin/lever system that holds the hammer back.

Please assist if there's any relevant information out there on this issue. I'll be posting a video tomorrow to explain the issue further.

- Kevin Miller
    FNX 45 owner with multiple triggers
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    To our lovely Forum! longtime lurker!
    Smurky, KmillerFN and dank thanked this.

KmillerFN welcome aboard and congrats on your spectacular new pistol

What you describe is the intended function of the pistol. As the manual should outline, there are 3 positions of the safety: up (locked/safe), middle/forward (unlocked/fire), down (decock).

When you press the safety down past the fire position it will drop the hammer onto an internal safety, and when you release then gently bring the hammer to final rest. The firearm is designed to behave this way and to not discharge when decocking. I know it seems right now unsafe, but this is a safety feature.

A fair amount of people (that I don't necessarily agree with) with Dual Action/Single Action pistols like the FNX like to carry their pistols uncocked and unlocked (hammer down, safety off - the opposite of 1911 where hammer is charged and safety is on). This means you have one in the chamber, don't have a safety to operate to fire the gun, but your safety against accidental discharge is the long, heavy (and likely innacurate) dual action trigger pull. So if you like to carry with hammer down, and you rack, discharge or pull back the hammer on the firearm, pushing the safety into the down position like you mention will lower the hammer into a decocked state.

A lot of SIG guys view this as a must have feature. Personally I'd buy a FNX in a heart beat if it was single action instead and had a flatter and lighter trigger.
    akitainu, KmillerFN and dank thanked this.
    5.7x28: FN Five-seveN MkII
    12ga: FN P-12
    20ga: Browning/Remi' Auto5
    Others: 22lr (Ruger-CC), 6mm CM (HOWA), .30-06 (Tikka), .380acp (SIG), .45acp (Pardini, Kimber)

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Thank you so much for informing me of this. I'm not used to a handgun having a decock option like this still going to test it with one in the chamber at the range.

Thanks FN47 and Lester for the warm welcome!

-Kevin Miller

I'm surprised no one's chimed in to help you on this. This a normal function of the FNX Tact with a trigger decocker. Some folks don't prefer the cocked and locked setting and some do. Some prefer the old DA to SA trigger transition. Some prefer the hammer down to keep fewer openings for dust and dirt to get in. My USPs had this feature but were used in competition mostly and riding the trigger on the move would sometimes decock it from SAO. Train with it and see what works best for you. I don't see my FNX making serious pistol competition like my expert did so I'm keeping it stock except for tweaking the magwell, installing an SRO and plans for suppression. I did notice that the recoil spring was intended for full power, +P/+P+ ammo. It does not cycle my lighter 135PF 3gun Ammo.

Yep as others have said it’s totally normal. Train with it see if you like safety on, safety off, cocked, not cocked. Do what works best for you. Personally I roll no safety not cocked.

https://youtu.be/ZfAobT5F3qg

Hey, I might suggest you get out the owner’s manual for the pistol, or download one and read it. What you described is an operating feature you should’ve known about before you loaded a magazine. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links