Google Search
Thanks Tree11Thanks
  • 3 Post By Alpha-17
  • 4 Post By Gonzogeezer
  • 3 Post By TNorris
  • 1 Post By Ibmikey99

Thread: So, what did I get? Argentine M90

So, what did I get? Argentine M90

Hello there! I did some horse trading yesterday, and ended up with this Argentine Hi Power. From what I can tell, it's the M90, with the 1911 profile barrel. Marked "FM Hi-Power Industria Argentina." Imported by Century. Anybody know anything about these? Are they any good? Problems I should watch out for?
    Milspec, akitainu and FN47 thanked this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

The Latest and Greatest in TactiCool gear won't save you, but what's wrong with Surviving in Style?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

They are a real Hi Power, manufactured on FN-licensed tooling in Argentina. It’s basically a Mark I Model. I have the ‘Detective’ variant, effectively a commander-sized Hi Power. The finish is pretty plain-Jane compared to what was coming out of Belgium but they are excellent weapons.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli

Nice finish for a used gun.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

You got a keeper. Probably a great shooter!

You can get springs and parts from BH Spring Solutions and a number of other places. BHSS has videos and lots of info. They are a fabulous source when you get stuck or just can't find an answer.

You probably want to replace the recoil spring, extractor spring, and maybe the firing pin spring, they don't last forever. Search for "free recoil spring" at BHSS. If you buy something, use the voucher code BHVet10 at checkout for a 10% discount.

There is no such thing as a Mark I High Power. Yours would be the Argentinian produced version of the Improved High Power of 1962, when changes to the design were introduced. Earlier Classic HPs featured an internal extractor. They were just called High Powers.

I have only an FM Detective slide which I use exclusively with an FN Alloy frame. Though the FM High Powers were licensed by FN, the resulting pistols are not 100% identical. FN may have provided slightly different set of blueprints.
    akitainu, Big Muddy and Alpha-17 thanked this.

Thanks for the info. Not sure when I'll get the chance to shoot it, but I'm looking forward to it.

The Latest and Greatest in TactiCool gear won't save you, but what's wrong with Surviving in Style?

Quote Originally Posted by TNorris View Post
    Though the FM High Powers were licensed by FN, the resulting pistols are not 100% identical. FN may have provided slightly different set of blueprints.
    I recall reading somewhere in the background research right after I got my Detective that suggested FN came and set up the production line for FM. I don’t know if that means they only got production drawings or if they also got the tooling.

As far as compatibility I have one data point. I did find when I sourced a full size barrel to have shortened and threaded that a FEG barrel from the model supposedly closest to a real HP did not work (I guessed the cam lock area needed fitting, but I’m not a Gunsmith) but a HP replacement barrel did.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzogeezer View Post
    I recall reading somewhere in the background research right after I got my Detective that suggested FN came and set up the production line for FM. I don’t know if that means they only got production drawings or if they also got the tooling.

As far as compatibility I have one data point. I did find when I sourced a full size barrel to have shortened and threaded that a FEG barrel from the model supposedly closest to a real HP did not work (I guessed the cam lock area needed fitting, but I’m not a Gunsmith) but a HP replacement barrel did.
    Yes. It was a licensed copy and FN had a big (I think) part in getting it running. Apparently they provided a somewhat different blueprint, like they did with Inglis during WWll. Probably subtle "improvements". I believe FM made some further "improvements" after the licensing agreement expired.

I have heard that internally, the Arcus is most faithful to the FN design. I don't have an Arcus.
    I think FEG was a reverse engineered pistol. Mine has incompatibilities and suffered from very poor finishing.

Nice Licensed copy of the Hi Power made toward the end of production when they simplified the machine process by eliminating the distinctive cuts on the front of the slide. The pistol is otherwise like a Mk II variant ( never was a Mk I) but simplified where ever they could to be cheaper to produce, still a nice pistol usually with a crude finish. This was produced after mIlitary contracts had been fulfilled with standard machined Hi Power parts.
    Alpha-17 thanked this.

Sponsored Links