Shooting Steel w/PS90 Question - Page 2

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Thanks Tree11Thanks

Thread: Shooting Steel w/PS90 Question

Also, I'm sure you already know this, but EVERYONE present MUST wear good eye protection anytime you are shooting steel. A bit of copper jacket coming back and hitting you will generally not even break the skin, but if you catch a piece in your eye, it could be a very bad day!

All I have now is 1/2" AR500 that has only seen pistol calibers, mostly just 9mm. It looks perfect.

I got hit once in the leg shooting steel with a 1911 back in the 1990s. I was wearing shorts. I backed the hell up after that, and never did it with shorts again. I just had a tiny cut, but it scared me at first.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    I would say about 35 yards, as long as the steel is slanted and or hanging from chains. As others stated NEVER shoot at a steel target with little "volcanoes" in it. And nothing makes better volcanoes than an AR with M855 / green tip. It will go it the hole, turn, and come right straight back at the shooter. If your steel has these holes in it they are easy to fix. Just grind down the part sticking out so it's flat, then fill it with weld and grind again. If you really feel the need to get close, shoot wood or a paper target in a wood stand.

If your using M855 I would stay back at least 50 yards, and the steel needs to be hanging from chains and / or slanted. If you see or hear things coming back twards you move back. It will all depend on how your steel is held, 100 yards is your best bet though. The real problem comes when your shooting pistols and someone takes a shot at those steel targets that have been shot with the AR. You now have targets that return fire!
    Last edited by fullcase; 10-03-2016 at 09:13 AM.
    ditcherman thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcase View Post
    I would say about 35 yards, as long as the steel is slanted and or hanging from chains. As others stated NEVER shoot at a steel target with little "volcanoes" in it. And nothing makes better volcanoes than an AR with M855 / green tip. It will go it the hole, turn, and come right straight back at the shooter. If your steel has these holes in it they are easy to fix. Just grind down the part sticking out so it's flat, then fill it with weld and grind again. If you really feel the need to get close, shoot wood or a paper target in a wood stand.
    How far away is safe with the volcano'ed steel and 855? 100 yards? Or do you mean never? (Mine's hanging on chains)
    edit to clarify the question: asking about shooting previously volcano'ed steel with new 855 from 100 yards, not pistols or pistol distances.
    Last edited by ditcherman; 09-30-2016 at 12:58 PM. Reason: clarification
    Our Forefathers would have been shooting by now.

My range won't allow 5.7 to be shot at steel. They say the velocity is too high and will ruin the plate. I'm not an expert, just passing along what I have been told.

Quote Originally Posted by currentking View Post
    My range won't allow 5.7 to be shot at steel. They say the velocity is too high and will ruin the plate. I'm not an expert, just passing along what I have been told.
    I just have mild steel and have shot at it with 197 and 198 from the PS90 and it barely leaves a mark on 3/8 scrap pieces. Their range, their rules I guess.
    Our Forefathers would have been shooting by now.

I shoot AR500 plates that are angled down and hanging from chains.

When I shoot handgun cartridges (i.e. 9mm, .38 special, et etc), the closest I shoot is 7 yards. I typically shoot pistols at 7, 10 & 15 yards. If it's a pistol-caliber SBR or carbine, I don't get closer than 15 yards, but I'm usually out at 35 to 50 yards. I shoot rifle cartridges at 100 yards, no closer.

I'm still not sure what the safest minimum distance is for shooting the 5.7 cartridge from a PS90. I was assuming the closest distance that's still safe is 50 yards, but there are a lot of different opinions so far.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links