My finish peeled off! What to do? - Page 2

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thanks Tree11Thanks

Thread: My finish peeled off! What to do?

Thanks for the advice everyone! I think once my Form 1 comes in as approved I'll send my barrel off to Tros, and the receiver to a Cerakote shop. Maybe both will be done about the same time, and the finished product will be that much better!

I've got a SilencerCo Saker 5.56 that should be approved for transfer about 2 months after my PS90 SBR. The whole package should look really sharp once complete.

Have it engraved before finish work is done.
    AMP PS90 trigger install:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

I, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

Jan. 20, 2017 FREEDOM!!!

Cool All back together now!!

So after about a 12 month wait for that old-style mail-in Form 1 with one correction back in October 2013, my Form 1 finally got approved about 3-4 weeks ago. I hacksawed that barrel off almost immediately and sent it to Mark McWillis at TROSUSA.com to be cut and crowned. As everyone on this board already knows, Mark does fantastic work and his turnaround time was excellent! 100% satisfied and highly recommended.

While my barrel was off to TROS, I found a local gunsmith in Chesapeake, VA area who does Cerakote applications. Jim Jones at J&L Gunsmithing stripped the factory finish off of the receiver, fixed the old engraving (the cause of that Form 1 correction back in Oct2013), and Cerakote'd the receiver, charging handle, and release button in a matte/flat black to closely match the factory finish. He was very attentive and also did a great job! If you're in the Hampton Roads area, look no further! I highly recommend.

ps90sbr01.jpgps90sbr02.jpgps90sbr03.jpgps90sbr04.jpgps90sbr05.jpg

So just yesterday I picked up all the parts and put everything back together. PS90 with SBR barrel conversion by TROS, engraved and Cerakote'd by J&L Gunsmithing, a TROS ultra-low optic mount, and an Aimpoint Pro Patrol optic. It looks great! I can't wait to take it to the range.

And finally, albeit temporarily, my SWR Spectre (original upgraded to Spectre II) screws right onto the barrel adapter by TROS.

Next step will be my SilencerCo Saker 5.56 that's still in old-style Form 4 jail (and has been for the past 9 months or so).... Pics to follow [some day!].

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Last two pics....

ps90sbr06.jpg

ps90sbr07.jpg

Looks great.

And good to know I'm not the only one with a PS90 that has a shiny spot.

Wow!!! That finish looks factory to me!!!

Awesome!!!
    AMP PS90 trigger install:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

I, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

Jan. 20, 2017 FREEDOM!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NavyDocToBe View Post
    So after about a 12 month wait for that old-style mail-in Form 1 with one correction back in October 2013, my Form 1 finally got approved about 3-4 weeks ago. I hacksawed that barrel off almost immediately and sent it to Mark McWillis at TROSUSA.com to be cut and crowned. As everyone on this board already knows, Mark does fantastic work and his turnaround time was excellent! 100% satisfied and highly recommended.

While my barrel was off to TROS, I found a local gunsmith in Chesapeake, VA area who does Cerakote applications. Jim Jones at J&L Gunsmithing stripped the factory finish off of the receiver, fixed the old engraving (the cause of that Form 1 correction back in Oct2013), and Cerakote'd the receiver, charging handle, and release button in a matte/flat black to closely match the factory finish. He was very attentive and also did a great job! If you're in the Hampton Roads area, look no further! I highly recommend.

ps90sbr01.jpgps90sbr02.jpgps90sbr03.jpgps90sbr04.jpgps90sbr05.jpg

So just yesterday I picked up all the parts and put everything back together. PS90 with SBR barrel conversion by TROS, engraved and Cerakote'd by J&L Gunsmithing, a TROS ultra-low optic mount, and an Aimpoint Pro Patrol optic. It looks great! I can't wait to take it to the range.

And finally, albeit temporarily, my SWR Spectre (original upgraded to Spectre II) screws right onto the barrel adapter by TROS.

Next step will be my SilencerCo Saker 5.56 that's still in old-style Form 4 jail (and has been for the past 9 months or so).... Pics to follow [some day!].
    Hmmm....looks like I can now get my SBR lower Cerakoted locally instead of sending it off.

What was his turnaround time for cerakoting your PS90?

Also, you said - "fix engraving". Does he do engraving on firearms?

Highly interested, as I don't like sending my stuff off through the mail.

Turnaround time for the re-engraving and Cerakoting was about 3 weeks. A good many months ago while my Form 1 was still pending, I sent the upper off for laser engraving. Had the same thing engraved that was approved on a prior Form 1 for a SBR AR-15, "Firstname Lastname Trust, Phialdelphia, PA". That's what I put on my PS90 Form 1, which was returned for correction as I am suppose to engrave "Firstname Lastname Revocable Living Trust, Philadelphia, PA". Since my factory finish was peeling off and I wanted that corrected, I asked about a slight grind-down of the initial engraving and then re-engraving the correct info. It's not visible on my pics because I blurred it out (my SN also). J&L Gunsmithing took care of it all locally. He's a busy guy, so I didn't mind waiting for the local quality work. I also didn't want to mail my upper out. I imagine he'll engrave anything you need done.

Good luck!

NavyDocToBe
    FN-A and Airborne Infantryman thanked this.

I have read on forums (but not found ATF confirmation) that you can just engrave "Firstname Lastname RLT, City, State". Is that correct? (and if so, anybody have a link to some ATF proof?)

EDIT: **

It appears that "recognized abbreviations" were deemed acceptable in the 2005 version of ATF rule (Page 92):
    https://www.atf.gov/files/publicatio...f-p-5300-4.pdf

Your name (or recog-

nized abbreviation) and also,
    when applicable, the name of
    the foreign manufacturer or
    maker;
    Last edited by ImFromTheGovt; 03-04-2014 at 09:04 AM.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

-Ronald Reagan

I thought I did the research a few years ago and found that "Firstname Lastname Trust, City, State" would work, and it did for me at least that one time. But for my PS90, with my Form 1 originally pending as of 22May2013, was returned in Oct2013 with the following reason:

"Incomplete transferee / applicant's information, see highlighted section(s).
    Full trust name, city and state; only state can be abbreviated in box 4h."

If it makes any difference, my corrected Form 1 was approved by Daniel A Parasky on 28Jan2014.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links