Check all your mags, especially PMAGS, but check all mags!! - Page 2

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree80Thanks

Thread: Check all your mags, especially PMAGS, but check all mags!!

Do EMags have the same problem?

Thank you for a most informative post. It takes just seconds to modify each P-mag with a Dremel. I, too, have the exact same wear on the upper, bolt catch and bolt lugs. I've already modified all my P-mags, even the ones I only intend to use with my ARs and Sig 556. :P

Quote Originally Posted by SgtStrykerUSMC43
    Quote Originally Posted by dzhitshard
    I'm more concerned about overall function than parts wear & was having a little difficulty "seeing" the issue as previously described.
    Dude,

The guy has a problem and wanted to share. If you have trouble "seeing" the issue, just ignore the post.

I guess you're having trouble "seeing" that FNF is more than just a forum for super elite, war fighting, target obliterating, ass kicking, laying waste to everything, guys like yourself.

FYI,

FNF has its share of guys who would make you look silly on a range, so a bit of cordial behavior would be in order, eh.

Why don't you try minding your own business & quit stalking me through threads trying to sharp shoot & show how cool you are with your 9000 posts.
    With all the industry people you know maybe you could make a call & have someone who can read translate my post for you. Then you may see I was telling him thanks for clearing up the same ambiguous, unclear comments from other threads other members thanked him for clearing up.

Cordial behavior, you may want to try it on yourself.
    Εἷς οἰωνὸς ἄριστος, ἀμύνεσθαι περὶ πάτρης

Is our "personal preference" a crutch for ignorance?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

out of the way (these were first gen L5's)

Quote Originally Posted by LongRifle
    Thank you for a most informative post. It takes just seconds to modify each P-mag with a Dremel. I, too, have the exact same wear on the upper, bolt catch and bolt lugs. I've already modified all my P-mags, even the ones I only intend to use with my ARs and Sig 556. :P
    Thanks for your kind words! To let you know, I have run my modified PMAGs about 300 rounds each on my Colt 6921 and LWRCi M6A2, and they worked fine with both, though there's no reason I can see why this mod would be a problem in the first place. It seems to me that Magpul used this shape to best support the follower as it comes up to press the bolt catch up, but I've tried to push the follower out of the way, and cause a problem, but try as I might, I can't.

FYI: the Lancer L5 also has this problem, and can be modified to work, but because of the follower design, the follower can get pushed out of the way and fail to lock the bolt open. I only have a few L5's, but I've decide to put them in my "back-up mags" bag becuase I want all my mags to work with all my 5.56mm carbines.

STL
    Senior Member 25,000 Post Club Member STL's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtStrykerUSMC43
    I'm more concerned about overall function than parts wear & was having a little difficulty "seeing" the issue as previously described.
    Dude,

The guy has a problem and wanted to share. If you have trouble "seeing" the issue, just ignore the post.

I guess you're having trouble "seeing" that FNF is more than just a forum for super elite, war fighting, target obliterating, ass kicking, laying waste to everything, guys like yourself.

FYI,

FNF has its share of guys who would make you look silly on a range, so a bit of cordial behavior would be in order, eh.

Why don't you try minding your own business & quit stalking me through threads trying to sharp shoot & show how cool you are with your 9000 posts.
    With all the industry people you know maybe you could make a call & have someone who can read translate my post for you. Then you may see I was telling him thanks for clearing up the same ambiguous, unclear comments from other threads other members thanked him for clearing up.

Cordial behavior, you may want to try it on yourself.
    My apologies. I understand that not everyone can understand an issue when it comes to the mechanics of a particular weapon.

Stalking? Don't give yourself that kind of credit, as I read most posts daily.

My post count has nothing to do with status. Most are attributed to helping members, with a small percentage going to just having a laugh with the guys. You should try it sometime.

I don't take life too seriously as nobody's out to get me and I don't have to sleep in a cave for shelter.

Hyperjoe, bravo2zero and Kakashi66218 thanked this.

Re: out of the way (these were first gen L5's)

Quote Originally Posted by Strongbow
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRifle
    Thanks for your kind words! To let you know, I have run my modified PMAGs about 300 rounds each on my Colt 6921 and LWRCi M6A2, and they worked fine with both, though there's no reason I can see why this mod would be a problem in the first place. It seems to me that Magpul used this shape to best support the follower as it comes up to press the bolt catch up, but I've tried to push the follower out of the way, and cause a problem, but try as I might, I can't.

FYI: the Lancer L5 also has this problem, and can be modified to work, but because of the follower design, the follower can get pushed out of the way and fail to lock the bolt open. I only have a few L5's, but I've decide to put them in my "back-up mags" bag becuase I want all my mags to work with all my 5.56mm carbines.
    Funny you mentioned the Lancers. I just got done modding them, too, right before I saw your reply. They wouldn't lock in the lower at all before the mod. I never had any issues of any kind through about 600 rounds, but I'm glad you shared this not so minor fix. Thanks again.

EMags do it too

Fantastic thread Strongbow!

EMags have the same problem on the SCAR.

Here are some pictures of an EMag compared to a PMag and an OEM mag.

EMag on the left, PMag on the right

PMag pushing the bolt catch up

EMag pushing the bolt catch up

OEM Mag functioning properly

A word to the wise, perhaps. Something to consider, regardless.

FN only warrants function with its magazines. What you are experiencing, if correct, would be caused by using aftermarket products, as opposed to OEM. You may face a problem with FNH USA since the fault is not with the gun.

If that happens, you are going to need to talk with Magpul.

Or write a check for a repair bill.

I could be pleasantly surprised if FN covers this, but one might not want to get one's hopes up too high.

I hope I'm wrong, or if I'm right, that FNH USA covers this anyway...just saying...hope it works out for you.

I bought one E-mag just to try it -- never have -- now, never will....

Brownell's STANAGs for me....
    SCARFace17 thanked this.
    Amat victoria curam

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent. It is the one most capable of adapting to change.

-- Charles Darwin, and what he actually wrote about species evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde
    A word to the wise, perhaps. Something to consider, regardless.

FN only warrants function with its magazines. What you are experiencing, if correct, would be caused by using aftermarket products, as opposed to OEM. You may face a problem with FNH USA since the fault is not with the gun.

If that happens, you are going to need to talk with Magpul.

Or write a check for a repair bill.

I could be pleasantly surprised if FN covers this, but one might not want to get one's hopes up too high.

I hope I'm wrong, or if I'm right, that FNH USA covers this anyway...just saying...hope it works out for you.

I bought one E-mag just to try it -- never have -- now, never will....

Brownell's STANAGs for me....
    If you mod your P and E mags then there will be nothing that needs warranty repair.. lol

So what would they refuse to cover? the not-worn part?

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    OK, I thought this was definatley worthy of a sticky!!

Let me ask some questions so I can add them to the original post.

1.) Will the problem be fixed by simply notching out the Pmags to match the FN mag?

2.) Are there any other concerns with these mags besides pushing the mag release up too far?

Kakashi66218 thanked this.
    x
    x
    x
    x
    Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, its learning how to dance in the rain.
    x
    You see in this world there's two kinds of people my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig?

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links