SCAR 16 Rebuild - Page 2

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree102Thanks

Thread: SCAR 16 Rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by fmxmyway View Post
    You mind taking a complete shot of the barrel with the BE Meyers on it? Sickest looking FH on the market IMHO.
    Sure, I was just doing a mock-up with the 4.9" MREX, and a few other parts.

14", plus 2.75", minus .625" is 16.125" without a shim, crush washer, etc. I know the 249F doesn't need to be timed, but I have OCD, and used the included crush washer and a 0.34mm Gemtech shim.

Looks perfect with the 4.9".
    akitainu and 1KPerDay thanked this.

On a side note, in another thread, it was said that the length of the 14" barrel was deceiving because the ECP flash suppressor partially shrouds the barrel, but that's not entirely true. The ECP flash suppressor only shrouds 4mm of the barrel (approximately). Overall, it is a smidgeon over 2.8" long.

fmxmyway and akitainu thanked this.

Nice man, nice. Thats going to be one bad looking ***** when its finished. With the rail set up makes it look shorter.
    Army of One thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Cover Plate

Always wondered why I have what FN calls a Cover Plate in my 16 Trigger Module, but don't have a Cover Plate in my 17 Trigger Module.

Hardware

Receiver is still out being refinished, so I decided to grab some new hardware in preparation for its return.

Since FN fasteners are obviously made from recycled soda cans, I sourced YFS, Class 12.9 steel fasteners to replace them, which I believe are the highest strength metric fasteners available, and typically, 2.5 to 3 times stronger than the A-2 stainless fasteners that FN uses, which means you'd probably strip your allan wrench before stripping the screw head.

On a side note, MGW charges $5 per FN fastener, HDD charges $3.87 for the exact same Class 12.9 fastener, and neither of them ever have any in stock. MTE charges $19.99 for five replacement screws for the rear plate, and if I'm not mistaken, are nothing more than a Torx version of the same stainless grade FN uses.

Point is, I found them for $0.11 each, and there's definitely no shortage of them out there. The great thing about Bolt Depot is you're not forced to buy screws in minimum lot sizes. You can buy one screw, five screws, or twenty screws, and they all come in their own individually labels bags.

Big Muddy, 308*Thumper, Tat2 and 6 others thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by Army of One View Post
    Always wondered why I have what FN calls a Cover Plate in my 16 Trigger Module, but don't have a Cover Plate in my 17 Trigger Module.

According to FN:

Thank you for contacting FN Technical Service.
    In rare cases, it could be possible for debris or cartridges to become stuck in this space in the lower receiver. This plate is in place to prevent this from occurring even though very uncommon. Because the SCAR 17S is larger, it is not possible for this to happen and cause a malfunction. We recommend keeping the cover plate installed on your SCAR 16S lower receiver.
    Tat2 thanked this.

Looking forward to seeing the finished rifle.

Reassembled from completely stripped, minus the Cover Plate.

Didn't like having spring-loaded detents, so I replaced the KDG Talon Levers with V7 counterparts. Also grabbed a Ti Take-Down pin, and Ti Hammer Pin from V7 as well.

Hammer Spring Guide is a stainless part purchased from HDD a few years ago, but never used it. Had it refinished in TiN locally, and added it to the reassembly.

Bolt Catch and Magazine Release assemblies refinished in Graphite Black Cerakote.

akitainu thanked this.

Between Mash Hooks, QD Points, and other odds and ends, the front and rear plates were beaten and tattered, so I grabbed a Rear Plate Repair and Receiver Protection Kit from HDD, which includes their Rubber Buffer, and a set of steel fasteners that ended up being the same Class 12.9 fasteners that I already purchased.

The screws for the right side are longer, but looked like they started off as M4x8mm, then ground down to what was supposed to be 7.3mm in length, but the actual lengths were 6.8mm, and 7.2mm. No mention of why the right fasteners are longer, but after having a look at the plate, the right arm is 4.77mm, and the left arm is 3.88mm (both rough measurements), so there's about a millimeter of usable depth on the right side that is not being utilized by the OEM 6mm screws. It appears that anything longer than 7.3mm would protrude into the raceway.

Replaced the front plate with a KDG FAQP.

Going forward, no more Hooks, QD Points, or anything else on the rear plate. To each his own, but there's simply no reason to nowadays.

Both refinished in Graphite Black Cerakote.

Last edited by Army of One; 05-06-2018 at 10:24 AM.
    akitainu thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    Looking forward to seeing the finished rifle.
    You and me both, BM!

I was quoted a month for the receiver, which landed at the coaters on the 4th, but I think it's going to be ready for shipment in the next day or two.

Really resisting the temptation to have the Bolt Carrier treated in Melonite QPQ. Contemplating...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links