Good stuff! Gunna look siiiccckk!!

Is it an SBR or are you pinning the FH?

T

Quote Originally Posted by Tat2 View Post
    Good stuff! Gunna look siiiccckk!!

Is it an SBR or are you pinning the FH?

T
    Thanks!

Definitely going with a pin and weld, Tat2.

Nice work. Post up the complete project.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Not in my possession yet, but got a picture from the shop, and so far, the work appears to be flawless, especially the color-fill. Under normal circumstances, nothing will adhere to Cerakote, so the color-fill will eventually fade or flake off. The secret is to spray Cerakote clearcoat over the hobby-based enamel. In my case, I chose a matte clearcoat.

Before anyone asks why I color-filled the text, I wanted to retain the OEM appearance of the rifle, but also wanted a more uniform, durable, and true FDE finish. I've seen SCAR receivers refinished in Cerakote, and end up looking like a "painted" receiver.

Anyway, I think they're working on the FN logo, so it should ship today, maybe tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Army of One View Post
    Receiver is still out being refinished, so I decided to grab some new hardware in preparation for its return.

Since FN fasteners are obviously made from recycled soda cans, I sourced YFS, Class 12.9 steel fasteners to replace them, which I believe are the highest strength metric fasteners available, and typically, 2.5 to 3 times stronger than the A-2 stainless fasteners that FN uses, which means you'd probably strip your allan wrench before stripping the screw head.

On a side note, MGW charges $5 per FN fastener, HDD charges $3.87 for the exact same Class 12.9 fastener, and neither of them ever have any in stock. MTE charges $19.99 for five replacement screws for the rear plate, and if I'm not mistaken, are nothing more than a Torx version of the same stainless grade FN uses.

Point is, I found them for $0.11 each, and there's definitely no shortage of them out there. The great thing about Bolt Depot is you're not forced to buy screws in minimum lot sizes. You can buy one screw, five screws, or twenty screws, and they all come in their own individually labels bags.

Thanks for the insight. Do u have a list of all the screws that u replaced or ordered for you upper? (size & count) Who did the cerokoting? looks great! I would love to send them my black SCAR. Best of luck with the completion. -TIA!
    Aerial-FX thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by CageFighter View Post
    Thanks for the insight. Do u have a list of all the screws that u replaced or ordered for you upper? (size & count) Who did the cerokoting? looks great! I would love to send them my black SCAR. Best of luck with the completion. -TIA!
    Absolutely!

Front Plate x2: M4x8mm
    Barrel Screw Support x2: M4x8mm
    Shell Deflector x2: M4x6mm
    Cam Rail x3: M4x6mm
    Rear Plate x4: M4x6mm
    Rear Plate (Top) x1: M5x10mm

The total should be $1.36, less shipping.

The price for Loctite 603 was a bit surprisingly, and most vendors, including Brownells, only have the 50ml size, which is just under $50. If you can find it, get the 10ml size. If I'm not mistaken, it was around $15, but the caveat is, Loctite 603 expires, and you'll find vendors that are either knowingly or unknowingly selling expired bottles.

I mentioned the Loctite because there's two things to consider. Compared to most of the torque specification tables I've seen, FN's torque specs for the receiver fasteners are fairly conservative. In speaking with them, they acknowledged that the specs were conservative, but noted that the Loctite 603 holds the fasteners in place without issue, so if you're going to stick with the factory spec of 22.1 in/lbs, use Loctite 603. If you're going to use Loctite 242 or 243, I would definitely go with 28-30 in/lbs.
    Last edited by Army of One; 09-13-2018 at 02:33 PM.

Accurizing

UID Labels with secret squirrel information embedded in the Data Matrix are good for a minimum of .5moa of additional accuracy.

BigBuckeyeGuy and CageFighter thanked this.

So how is it going? Any issues / holdups?

Quote Originally Posted by Army of One View Post
    UID Labels with secret squirrel information embedded in the Data Matrix are good for a minimum of .5moa of additional accuracy.

Absolutely - BTW where did you get the UID label made? My 17S is missing its label and I keep getting flyers.

Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    So how is it going? Any issues / holdups?
    No issues or anything. The forum here is kinda dead, so I stopped posting updates.
    Kev thanked this.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links