28. You may not vote on this poll
  • EOTech EXPS3-0

12 42.86%
  • ELCAN 1-4x

16 57.14%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Thanks Tree10Thanks

Thread: EOTech EXPS3 vs ELCAN 1-4X for SBR SCAR 16S

I mounted an EXPS2-0 (w/ G33 magnifier when needed) on my 13” 17S. My reasoning was to keep this rifle as light as possible for up to 200yd shots. My 16” 17S has an Elcan 1.5-6x for up to 600yds.

I would do the same for a 16S... EXPS3 for SBR and Elcan 1-4x for longer shots.

Both have strengths and major weaknesses. I've personally pre-order the Vortex 1-10x MRAD.

EXPS is great without magnification especially for anything dynamic or shooting around/under barriers. The magnification would be great if you didn't have put your face right in it.

Elcan is great but eye relief of 2.75 also sucks especially if you are a tall person that needs the stock extended to position 4-6. Given that it cannot extend very far back if you keep the rear sight, that means that you have to collapse the stock almost all the way which impairs proper stock length and head position. That said, the eye box is excellent if you like having your face right up against your rear sights.
    I hate nose up against rear sight shooting.

All that said, an LPVO with a top notch eye box is my preference for the 17 or if your eyes are good, red dot/eotech with no magnifier.
    Last edited by DL32; 01-20-2020 at 08:14 PM.

The elcan is the better optic especially when batteries are a factor.
    byoung thanked this.
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."
    -Samuel Adams

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by FullAssault View Post
    The elcan is the better optic especially when batteries are a factor.
    Agree that Elcan is a better optic. However, I will take a lessor optic if it means I can extend the stock to the proper length to support head position among other things. After many years of spending and testing, I now only pick Optics that don’t make me compromise technique. Proper stock length, especially for me, made things more repeatable especially when snapping a rifle into position while in motion.

Another reason I’ll never own an ACOG. Way to much compromise for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DL32 View Post
    Agree that Elcan is a better optic. However, I will take a lessor optic if it means I can extend the stock to the proper length to support head position among other things. After many years of spending and testing, I now only pick Optics that don’t make me compromise technique. Proper stock length, especially for me, made things more repeatable especially when snapping a rifle into position while in motion.

Another reason I’ll never own an ACOG. Way to much compromise for me.
    I think it boils down to what you are comfortable with and train/shoot with. Like you said, there are some things you don’t want to give up for a certain optic. SOF guys I have worked with ran a myriad of optics based on individual preferences. Not really a 100% answer for this question because the real question is what works for each of us (and how much $$$ do you have to burn).

+ 1 for the EOTECH. Get the green reticle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links