Thanks Tree7Thanks
  • 1 Post By LESTER
  • 1 Post By Smurky
  • 2 Post By Aerial-FX
  • 2 Post By 1KPerDay
  • 1 Post By Precision_guru

Thread: SCAR 16 question about bolt, unknown round count

SCAR 16 question about bolt, unknown round count

I bought a used SCAR 16 and I was inspecting the bolt and barrel. The bolt seems to have a indented circle on it. Is this a sign of excessive round count? How many rounds approx would you guess this rifle would have to have to have this happen? Is it time to replace this bolt? The guy I bought it from is offering to take it back and buy it for what I paid. What would you do? I spent about $2,500 in total for the Scar 16, has the Geiselle trigger upgrade. I could buy a new one for about $2,700.
    Attached Images Attached Images

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Precision_guru View Post
    I bought a used SCAR 16 and I was inspecting the bolt and barrel. The bolt seems to have a indented circle on it. Is this a sign of excessive round count? How many rounds approx would you guess this rifle would have to have to have this happen? Is it time to replace this bolt? The guy I bought it from is offering to take it back and buy it for what I paid. What would you do?
    I would ask the guy you bought it from! his estimated round count!
    Smurky thanked this.

People's Republik of Dane county, Wisconsin
    I bought a used SCAR 16 and I was inspecting the bolt and barrel. The bolt seems to have a indented circle on it. Is this a sign of excessive round count? How many rounds approx would you guess this rifle would have to have to have this happen? Is it time to replace this bolt? The guy I bought it from is offering to take it back and buy it for what I paid. What would you do? I spent about $2,500 in total for the Scar 16, has the Geiselle trigger upgrade. I could buy a new one for about $2,700.
    Difficult to tell, depends on the type of ammo used. Have you looked at the bore that may give you a better indication. As Les suggested the previous owner should have a good idea.
    LESTER thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Isnt that indent normal? I know the 17’s have the same thing. These thumbnail photos are difficult to zoom in on
    1KPerDay and Iceman2733 thanked this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    “The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”

Quote Originally Posted by Aerial-FX View Post
    Isnt that indent normal? I know the 17’s have the same thing. These thumbnail photos are difficult to zoom in on
    He may be talking about the ring around the firing pin hole.
    LESTER and Aerial-FX thanked this.
    My hovercraft is full of eels.

I asked the guy I bought it from, he said he bought it used and never noticed it. I sent a photo to FN technical support and they said it was from gasses escaping the primer. But according to them it’s damaged and needs to be replaced. A buddy of mine said that only would happen after 100,000+ rounds. Turns out I’m sending it back to the guy he is going to refund me. Nice guy
    Smurky thanked this.

I asked the guy I bought it from, he said he bought it used and never noticed it. I sent a photo to FN technical support and they said it was from gasses escaping the primer. But according to them it’s damaged and needs to be replaced. A buddy of mine said that only would happen after 100,000+ rounds. Turns out I’m sending it back to the guy he is going to refund me. Nice guy
    This gun doesn't have 100,000, cmon man... lol From what I can see if you are talking about around the firing pin hole is normal wear and tear for almost all guns. I would say he shot either cheap or over pressured rounds or reloaded ammo that has been shot a couple of times and primer pocket not sealing, you see this a lot on 2011 Open guns from the high pressures from 38SC and 9mm Major. What FN is saying is correct the primer was not sealing and allowing some gases to hit bolt face, could have been reloads. If it bothers ya replace the bolt, depending on what you gave for the rifle. Def check the rifling on the barrel

Here are a few links that show the same wear and tear, https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/S...ear/24-356846/ (now this one does have damage on the lugs so mind that lol)

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Ne...e__/66-690264/

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...MT-Bolt-Damage

Now mind you ALL of these links have issues with the bolt but not because of the ring you are talking about, IF that is what you are talking about lol

Quote Originally Posted by 1KPerDay View Post
    He may be talking about the ring around the firing pin hole.

1k I believe your right. I did not see that in the pic. Bad eyes and small pictures dont go together very well, lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    “The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”

Sponsored Links