Private Sale Help

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Thanks Tree18Thanks

Thread: Private Sale Help

Private Sale Help

I’m in the market for the 16s, and as a Massachusetts resident they can be hard to come by.

I found a private seller offering a FDE SCAR 16s with an EOTech 512 + magnifier, bolt assist, altered charging handle, single point sling, MA pre ban magazine, and a custom painted pelican case that reads “Scarlett.”

Those aside, an issue I have is the custom paint work he had done on the rifle. On the stock, there are stapled up wounds, one on each side, with the name Scarlett in red on the lower receiver near the mag well. To me, that reduces the value of the gun and limits potential buyers in the future. Not to mention, the stock is pinned (stupid MA law) to a length that is too long for me, so I may have to pay to get the stock altered or replaced.

He is asking $3000 for everything minus the optics, $3650 with the optics. Given that the gun has a few hundred rounds through it, the pinned stock, the paint work, and the fact he has been trying to sell it for five months with no luck, I was wondering what to shoot him an offer for.

I was thinking between $2500-3000 for the whole setup. Plus, I would be driving nearly 3 hours to get it.

Need some opinions, thanks!

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    If you think $2500 is a fair price for it, make the offer. If he says no then you can offer a little more if you want. Its going to be your rifle if you buy it so don't pay more for it than you think its worth, or you will eventually regret it. New SCAR 16s sold for $2200 or so you need to decide what it is worth to you with the add ons.
    SCAR'd Mike and mjk1 thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK SD9 Tactical View Post
    If you think $2500 is a fair price for it, make the offer. If he says no then you can offer a little more if you want. Its going to be your rifle if you buy it so don't pay more for it than you think its worth, or you will eventually regret it. New SCAR 16s sold for $2200 or so you need to decide what it is worth to you with the add ons.
    I’ve better chances of winning the lottery than finding a new SCAR 16s in Massachusetts for $2200. All prices I’ve seen up here are $2900+!
    But I will keep in mind how much I feel it’s worth. This deal is pretty good all things considered.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficerSmith View Post
    I’ve better chances of winning the lottery than finding a new SCAR 16s in Massachusetts for $2200. All prices I’ve seen up here are $2900+!
    But I will keep in mind how much I feel it’s worth. This deal is pretty good all things considered.
    If that is the way you feel, then go for it. I have no idea what Mass requires for rifle sales considering it is an "assault rifle". Of course, anything in Mass that is not a muzzle loader or a musket is considered an "assault riffle"

Quote Originally Posted by HK SD9 Tactical View Post
    If that is the way you feel, then go for it. I have no idea what Mass requires for rifle sales considering it is an "assault rifle". Of course, anything in Mass that is not a muzzle loader or a musket is considered an "assault riffle"
    What I know is that a rifle does not classify as an "assault rifle" so long as a few parameters have been met. Those are: the stock cannot telescope (this is achieved by pinning the desired length in place), magazines cannot exceed 10 rounds unless the magazines were manufactured before 1994 or are undated, and must be semi-automatic. It is acceptable, and thankfully not as bad as CA.
    Last edited by OfficerSmith; 05-22-2020 at 08:21 PM.

I do not like "customized" guns and generally see these modifications as a negative on the impact of value. Those "changes" were made for a previous owners personal preference, and if not in line with something I was thinking of doing, or would do, lessens the value to me. This is particularly true with finish and "paint" that is not normal or standard. I do not know the value of guns or availability of them in your state but would think you are correct in the price should be lower than he is asking. My two cents
    OfficerSmith and mjk1 thanked this.

Any chance you can post some photos of the rifle?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    “The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”

This is America. If you want it and can buy it at a price you feel appropriate, do so. ‘Value’ is highly subjective. But personally, I wouldn’t do it. However, I can easily see why someone would. IMO, unless you have to get the 16, I’d get the 17 in a minute and never look back. Scar16 has little or no advantage over other options while the Scar17 is wildly better than most....in my opinion.
    OfficerSmith, mjk1 and jaflowers thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerial-FX View Post
    Any chance you can post some photos of the rifle?
    Sure can.

Seems like the paint can be removed fairly easily

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    “The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links