Can anyone identify this ammo?

FN Forum

Google Search
Thanks Tree2Thanks

Thread: Can anyone identify this ammo?

Can anyone identify this ammo?

Hi All,
    I am new to the forum. Long term lurker, first time poster. I recently purchased a Scar 17s in FDE. Along with the Scar, i got a steal (i think) of some Austrian Hirtenberger 7.62 x 51 ammo. I bought 600 rounds, in 200 round battlepacks for 50 cents a round. I do not know much about this ammo other than it's Austrian, the label says Hirtenberger 147gr 7.62. The primers appear to be berdan primed. I am not sure of the headstamp or what year it was manufactured. I have read some of them are magnetic, but this specific lot is not. If this is in the wrong category, please move. Thanks in advance.

7038047_03_7_62_x_51_hirtenberg_640.jpg
    macman1138 thanked this.

Not sure what the question is here as you've already ID'ed the ammo thoroughly? I've used it before and had decent results accuracy and reliability wise. You can always find it available for $0.50/rd these days with a quick search.
    macman1138 thanked this.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Yeah, The head stamp is on the end. Don't reload these cases! Other than that they shoot purdy fine. What else do you wanna know? Welcome to the FORUM! Congrats on your purchase, shoot often and enjoy!
    Last edited by kansas; 09-24-2017 at 01:51 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by FS2KSTD View Post
    Not sure what the question is here as you've already ID'ed the ammo thoroughly? I've used it before and had decent results accuracy and reliability wise. You can always find it available for $0.50/rd these days with a quick search.

Sorry about that. My title was a bit ambiguous. I was concerned if this ammo is corrosive, or if it was junk ammo. It seemed really cheap. I was also curious as to the year it was made? I dont want to put it into long term storage if it is 50 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Sorry about that. My title was a bit ambiguous. I was concerned if this ammo is corrosive, or if it was junk ammo. It seemed really cheap. I was also curious as to the year it was made? I dont want to put it into long term storage if it is 50 years old.
    Most of the stuff circulating now is late 70s, early 80s. The 80s stuff is boxer primed but 70s stuff is Berdan. AFAIK it's noncorrosive. Only way to tell year I believe is from the original box. I'll take a look at what I have at home.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    As Mr Torgue states, most is late-70's to early-80's production berdan-primed, non-corrosive ammo. I'd personally use it as range ammo and stock up on some newer production to store as it's getting "long in the tooth".
    Μολὼν λάβε

Sponsored Links