Gas jet screw stuck? - Page 2

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Thanks Tree33Thanks

Thread: Gas jet screw stuck?

+1 on using a drop of Anti_Seize on the threads of the new jet. I use it on automotive/motorcycle screws that take high heat. Maybe I'll take out my PMM jet and add a drop.
    Smurky, Aerial-FX and akitainu thanked this.
    My Belgian babies: Scar 17S with Elcan 1.5/6X.....Scar 20S with Steiner M5Xi 3-15x50.....FNX 45 Tactical

At what round count should you remove the gas jet for cleaning and inspection for the first time? So far i have around 140 rounds through my 17. With the ranges opening again in Virginia, i will be shooting more often i hope

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    “The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”

I added anti seize grease to my jets. The same stuff I used on my spark plugs when I changed them. I figured if it can handle the heat that the engine and plugs generate it should be good on these doo dads.
    Smurky and akitainu thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

People's Republik of Dane county, Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerial-FX View Post
    At what round count should you remove the gas jet for cleaning and inspection for the first time? So far i have around 140 rounds through my 17. With the ranges opening again in Virginia, i will be shooting more often i hope
    The jets are not a maintenance item, once the correct gas control screw is determined and the rifle is functioning as designed you’re good to go. Anti seize as suggested by others is a good idea if changing the gas control screw again becomes necessary. Removing and reinstalling them As part of regular maintenance regime is unnecessary IMO.
    Big Muddy, akitainu and Aerial-FX thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smurky View Post
    The jets are not a maintenance item, once the correct gas control screw is determined and the rifle is functioning as designed you’re good to go. Anti seize as suggested by others is a good idea if changing the gas control screw again becomes necessary. Removing and reinstalling them As part of regular maintenance regime is unnecessary IMO.
    I pretty much agree with your comments. There is no detriment to putting a drop of anti-seize on the gas jet screw once the correct size is determined. In PMM's gas jet video, he mentions that taking the rifle from your home location to another location with a drastically different altitude may have an effect on the cycling with a particular jet. Some people actually travel with their rifles to other states for training and/or hunting, so there may occasionally be a need for them to swap a jet +/- one size. My rifle is tuned to a 1.35m jet, and I doubt I will ever need to swap it, but I keep a 1.40mm jet in my range bag anyway with a small hex wrench. It would have been a plus if the Scar had three gas settings: Regular Adverse and Suppressor. But I guess they felt over-gassing it a bit was the best solution. After someone mentioning anti-seize in this thread, I went ahead and added a drop to the jet and cleaned up the whole gas regulator area while I was at it.
    Last edited by Tek74; 05-24-2020 at 09:28 AM.
    Smurky thanked this.
    My Belgian babies: Scar 17S with Elcan 1.5/6X.....Scar 20S with Steiner M5Xi 3-15x50.....FNX 45 Tactical

Thanks for the info guys. I will at least remove the jet and add some anti seize to it, just in case in the future i want to change it out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    “The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”

Sponsor
    FN Supporter

Hot, high pressure (12,000 PSI) gasses at the end of the muzzle will erode the gas jet, causing it to grow over time. So occasional replacement is warranted. Question is what round count.

The throat of the barrel will also erode. Match grade barrels are maybe 5,000 rounds, but that is 50-60,000 PSI. Chrome lined are 10,000+. Percussion nipples in muzzle loaders will erode with 25,000 PSI chamber pressures, though I forget their lifespan. Net, it is almost certainly in the range of multiple thousands. Replacing it as you replace a barrel is probably a good idea.
    Art Neergaard
    ShootingSight LLC
    Rolled Plate Steel Triggers.

513-702-4879

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links