Gas jet screw stuck?

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Thanks Tree33Thanks

Thread: Gas jet screw stuck?

Gas jet screw stuck?

So I brought my scar 17 to a gunsmith who said he couldn't remove the gas jet screw bc it was stuck. Any clue if this is common or if the gunsmith just wasn't capable or educated with it?

People's Republik of Dane county, Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by mx711yam View Post
    So I brought my scar 17 to a gunsmith who said he couldn't remove the gas jet screw bc it was stuck. Any clue if this is common or if the gunsmith just wasn't capable or educated with it?
    Could be either, what did he do to try and remove it? It takes heat and a modified or special screwdriver. A screw driver that is the correct size for the slot in the gas control screw to get enough “bite” usually won’t fit without grinding the sides so they’re straight and Fits through the hole in the top of the gas block. Shooting site makes a Screwdriver tool that works very well IMO. Heat is your friend, both sides of the gas block. If the slot on the gas screw gets rounded and easy out or left hand drill bit is necessary to remove it.
    Last edited by Smurky; 05-20-2020 at 09:04 PM.
    LESTER, akitainu, jaflowers and 1 others thanked this.

Since the Smith said the jet was stuck, I will assume he used a slim screw driver that would fit through the hole and reach the screw head. I ground down the sides of one myself and used that. Anyway, I would suggest squirting some penetrating fluid like Kroil in there and letting it sit over night, then try it yourself. Mine came out easy without anything, but I only had a 300-400 rounds through the rifle back when I did it.
    Smurky, LESTER, akitainu and 1 others thanked this.
    My Belgian babies: Scar 17S with Elcan 1.5/6X.....Scar 20S with Steiner M5Xi 3-15x50.....FNX 45 Tactical

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

I second the use of Kroil. That stuff really works. Just be sure to let it sit a few minutes and work in. Cleans the carbon off the piston as well.
    Ex-Racer / Ex-Pat and akitainu thanked this.

Thanks guys I'll find some kroil, is there somewhere to buy the special tool to remove it? Dont want to screw this thing up

Get this https://shootingsight.com/product/sc...t-screwdriver/ and one of these just in case https://shootingsight.com/product/lh-gasjet-drill/

Since your there, check out his other great SCAR tools too.
    Smurky, mjk1, Big Muddy and 2 others thanked this.
    SCAR- "AR10 accurate & AK reliable with Beltfed longevity." Fröman

You can buy the special screw driver. But if you have a bench grinder, I would seriously just grind down the swell part sides of an extra flat head screw driver. It only takes a few minutes. If soaking in Kroil over night doesn't work, heat up the jet with a heat gun.
    My Belgian babies: Scar 17S with Elcan 1.5/6X.....Scar 20S with Steiner M5Xi 3-15x50.....FNX 45 Tactical

Sponsor
    FN Supporter

#1, get or make a 4mm screw driver. Because of the hole in the jet, there is not much meat left on the sides of the slot for the screwdriver to bite. If you get a poor fit, so it only makes partial contact, you can strip/round out the edges, and you are hosed.

#2, try the Kroil, but typically you need heat. Get a propane torch on the gas block till it is almost red.

#3, if you bugger it up, use a left hand 5/32 drill to drill it out. 5/32 is slightly smaller than the minor diameter of the threads, so you avoid damaging the gas block, and the friction of a drill biting has always ended up spinning the remains of the gas valve out before the drill went all the way through.

I have both screwdrivers and left hand drills on my website.
    Smurky, mjk1, Big Muddy and 2 others thanked this.
    Art Neergaard
    ShootingSight LLC
    Rolled Plate Steel Triggers.

513-702-4879

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    Kroil..... is the way to go !!!!
    Or as I would say.... CROW-OIL LOL
    Smurky thanked this.
    ORIGINALLY POSTED By " akitainu " As soon as my wife lifts our household arms embargo I will have one "

URIAH HEEP " Stealin when I should have been Buying " !

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter

I put a tiny amount of this on the threads, when I put the screw back in.
    Hope it makes removal easier next time!
    https://www.grainger.com/product/2VF...PC:+Google+PLA
    Big Muddy, Kansas boy and Iceman2733 thanked this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links