FN SLP Loading Port Mods

FN Forum

Google Search

FN SLP Loading Port Mods

I posted this over on a local forum. I found this site very helpful and wanted to contribute here as well.

I've decided to open things up a bit on my SLP after catching my thumb a couple of times.

I did some searching and found some great ones......and a few not so great ones.

Not great.....

I'm not really sure what that guy was going for. He said it helped with weak hand loading.

I'm looking to do more like this.

I plan on pulling my lifter and filling in the super thumb grabbing fork. Welding. Though I have to say that the one guys JB Weld job looked like it would be nice with a little smoothing.

I'm to understand that the SLP is a little picky about adding weight to anything that moves. So I was thinking of cutting out the lifter a little to compensate for the added weight.

As much as I like doing stuff myself, I might actually send this off to have this guy do the carrier mod.

C-Rums - Carriers

I was thinking of welding my little plate under the lifer and blending the edge that you would touch to avoid issues with the fork not stabilizing the round before chambering as mentioned here.
    Why do people weld lifters? - Shotgun - Technical - Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I took the gun apart today and started work with a rounded hand file. I wish I had a slightly bigger or slightly smaller file than the ones I had. So, I stopped and decided I would look for a different file. I would really like to do this by hand and not with my dremel.

Instead of welding a small piece in where the fork is like this.

I would like to put a small square on the bottom so it retains the fork on top that stabilizes the shell.

Then ramp and blend the new piece so it is almost as smooth as this.

I got bored with using a file fast. I broke out the sanding drum and was happy with how controllable it was. It gets easy to start taking a lot off with that. So you need to be careful. It also tends to pull you when profiling the curve so it's easy to get it lopsided. Just take your time. I used the file to fine tune my angles. Then went over it with some wet dry. I want to blow it out and get it together to see how I like it or if it needs a hair more before I do the final polishing. I like it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

So, I touched this thing wrong apparently and "spring".....

I don't see how it really retains in place or how to put it back in. Seems like it should have like 2 more parts.

This was a crappy interweb pic that I found.

One of the button ends has a tang on it that can go inside the lifter dogleg either up or down. Don't know which way it goes.
    You can see it in this pic.

Found it. I would not call it small. It's about the length of the whole spring. It hoops around the lower swivel and goes in like a pin in the upper swivel.

So, I pulled the lifter and decided I was going to weld it up and cut a slot in it myself.

I procured a small piece of suitable stainless. I then drilled some holes as a guide for my slot. I really wondered if the slot was going to remove enough weight to balance out the piece of metal I wanted to add. Since I wanted to overlay the bottom of the lifter at least past the fork to keep the fork on the upper side, yet wanted to not have an edge to catch my thumb on.

I weighed out a small strip of metal about the size of the slot. Then the piece I intended to weld on. It was much heavier. So I came back to the idea of an epoxy. I decided to use some thin uhmw that I had for body panels on a rock crawler. The holes I drilled in the lifter would actually do a great job of helping the epoxy stick while filling them back in so a shell would not snag on them. The uhmw and glob of epoxy also weighted less than the piece of metal I wanted to weld on.

I used a hard set epoxy, prepped the surface, and let it set nice and hard. Then began shaping and sanding.

It still needs a little work/filling/sanding but I test fit it and I like it a lot. Feeds dummy shells perfectly into the tube and the gun.

I could have/would have done a better job on the holes if I knew I was going to use them at the time like I did. But since I was going to just use a dremel to cut the slot out.....I didn't bother getting them anything other than straight.

Does anyone sell a replacement? Or is the only alternative to do surgery?

Sponsored Links