Thanks Tree7Thanks
  • 1 Post By John Galt
  • 1 Post By grant.c6
  • 1 Post By grant.c6
  • 2 Post By GunDick
  • 2 Post By JT79

Thread: In search of input from 509 owners with long term Glock experience

In search of input from 509 owners with long term Glock experience

Looking to hear from people who own Glocks in the past and how your experience is with the 509 in terms of shootability, reliability, ergonomics, overall experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I became a Glock fan about in the early 90's and still like shooting them. The gen 5 Glock 34 MOS with RMR is my favorite range gun and the 43X is my pocket gun.
    About 3 years ago I bought the FN 509 and quickly became a fan. I now own all 509 models and shoot them regularly. The grip of the 509's is more comfortable (to me) and has the best texture. I will be staying with the FN's and Glock's and not venturing out to other brands. I have also added a Scar 17s to my FN family.
    impactbumper thanked this.

I have, 509,509T,Glock26,and 19. I love them all in different ways. Mostly use the glocks for carrying and 509 t for home defense. The 509s are more accurate in my hands but the glocks always run perfectly

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    impactbumper thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

ARe the 509s made better than the FNS and FNP?

I know there was a big issue with 1 guy getting a response from FN that they wouldn't warranty his FNS because he didn't send it into the factory every few thousand rounds (I think it even says so in the manual), and the admission that they were not made for putting tons of rounds thru (I forget the link to that thread, but it was an eye opener). Other than the Five Seven, it kinda turned me off to FN handguns (love the rifles)

Is the 509 made better? Any problems with it, you guys?

Quote Originally Posted by ShipWreck View Post
    ARe the 509s made better than the FNS and FNP?

I know there was a big issue with 1 guy getting a response from FN that they wouldn't warranty his FNS because he didn't send it into the factory every few thousand rounds (I think it even says so in the manual), and the admission that they were not made for putting tons of rounds thru (I forget the link to that thread, but it was an eye opener). Other than the Five Seven, it kinda turned me off to FN handguns (love the rifles)

Is the 509 made better? Any problems with it, you guys?
    My 509s have run flawlessly one with at least 2k through it and 1k for the other. I don't have any experience with the fns and fnx

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    ShipWreck thanked this.

I went to the 509T frankly because I never could get comfortable with Glocks. I’ve run 19s and 17s for years and always did decent with them but never seemed to get past having to train around the ergos. Once I changed over to the 509T it was like an epiphany moment where everything just came together. It seemed like Glock reliability with good ergos and just worked. I’ve got nearly 10k rounds through the current 509T and have a second one set up the same way. It’s been through all the same IDPA and two gun stuff as the previous Glocks and I wouldn’t go back unless the world was ending and a Glock was the only trick in town. I’m not bashing Glocks at all. I currently carry a Glock 42 often but realistically that’s because it just fits a need for me that isn’t filled by FN or others. If there were a better option that worked for me of likely do that. My .02 cents worth. YMMV
    Stay out of my bedroom, bathroom, wallet and gun safe and we'll probably get along much better.

Like everywhere else we have a surplus of public parasites - P.O. Ackley

Opportunity is missed by most because it's dressed in coveralls and looks like work.

Politicians and diapers should be changed often and for the same reason.

I probably have about 4k through my 509T. Runs well, however it will start to fail to feed after about 700-1000 rounds of cheap blazer 115 (notoriously dirty) WITHOUT a cleaning. Any of the hotter or heavier stuff runs just fine so far, but I havenít put the same amount of consecutive rounds of the heavy stuff through it yet. Anyone else seeing FTFeed when going without a cleaning for awhile?

I've owned a number of Glocks over the years, still like my G42 for general carry in my old age. Over time I traded up to my G19 MOS which is a great gun, and with a red dot, I am plenty accurate for self-defense and targets. A year or so ago, I traded my FNS and FNSc for the FN509 TAC, which felt slightly better than the Glocks. It shot well, and with a red dot, was also quite accurate. I have about 600 rds through it because I got a Walther PPQ M2, a PPQ M2 Navy and an IWI Masada. Of them all, I am most comfortable with the 509, followed closely by the PPQ M2. I also love my H&K VP9, which is my total favorite. What I've learned from being able to shoot all these is what I tell my brother: it's what feels good to YOU that matters. For general self-defense and targets (not competition, I'm too old now with health issues), I find little difference that I can pin down other than what feels right. I'm working on getting the new VP9 with red dot hatch, but meanwhile, the 509 TAC is just barely most comfortable for me. Good grip, fits my medium-sized hand, isn't overly heavy, and like the others, has been reliable as a Rolex. And yes, I like my Glock 44 (the .22 gun) also. Hope that helps.
    impactbumper and ShipWreck thanked this.

I owned nothing but Glocks from around 03í until the P320 came out. Love Glocks but not necessarily how they feel for me. When the 509 came out I fell in love but hesitated to buy one. Still loved the 320. Kept on renting and shooting the 509 at the range and when the midsize was released I made the switch. Now I have the midsize MRD and no interest in returning to Glock but I do still have the 320. I have exceptional luck with all 3 brands running near flawless with heavy round counts. Will say this, Iím not sure under realistic circumstances you can wear a Glock out, maybe not even a 320. Iím thinking Iíll say the same for the 509 but time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ShipWreck and impactbumper thanked this.

Sponsored Links