• 2 Post By LESTER
  • 1 Post By brokegun
  • 1 Post By Milspec
  • 3 Post By LESTER
  • 3 Post By hillbillyjim
  • 1 Post By little_scrapper

Thread: Need Advice about Online Gun Purchase Problem

Need Advice about Online Gun Purchase Problem

So I bought a Brand new gun online and it was shady from the get go. I paid immediately with credit card. It took 8 days for them to acknowledge receipt of FFL, then they promised to mail next day, but was not mailed for five more days. When I received it, it was the wrong gun, similar model, but older. I accepted (my recognized mistake) it from FFL because I did not trust sending it back...everything was questionable. I examined it in darker conditions and in a Covid sensitive scenario with the older FFL gentleman and could not take it out of garage because of neighbors/kids.

When I brought it home, I could see that it was very dirty. I contacted them and they said it was a display gun. I researched more and discovered it was six years old, and that the packaging was not right. I had to order some cleaning equipment, and a week later I found that it was very dirty inside the bolt, etc. It was very tight. Then a few days later I ran gun patches through the barrel and after 15 of them, they still come out dirty...the gun was definitely used. I contacted the owner again and he agreed to send a check for a partial refund. That was six days ago, no check...contacted him again to find out when it was sent, he only stated it was sent, would not acknowledge gun was used or when the check was sent...I specifically asked.

What would you do?

Please avoid typical responses of buy locally and your fault, you accepted it from FFL. I already beat myself up about that. Now, I am trying to make things right. I left out more detailed info because I am trying to give the owner the benefit of the doubt, that it was a mistake, and that this can be resolved, but it has been almost a month.

You have only one recourse. Call the owner directly and tell him exactly what happened. If the owner stiffs you check the terms and conditions of the sale to see if you have ground to stand on. If the sale conditions say that you accept all responsibility of the firearm upon signing for it than you’re unfortunately, out of luck.
    akitainu thanked this.
    "Never forget, even for an instant, that the one and only reason anybody has for taking your gun away is to make you weaker than he is, so he can do something to you that you wouldn't let him do if you were equipped to prevent it. This goes for burglars, muggers, and rapists, and even more so for policeman, bureaucrats, and politicians."

-Aaron Zelman and L. Neil Smith, Hope, 2001

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Curious! how much are you out! $$$$$
    Smurky and hillbillyjim thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Was it a gunbroker purchase?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    “The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”

Quote Originally Posted by Aerial-FX View Post
    Was it a gunbroker purchase?

If you, the buyer, paid with a credit card and or a payment gateway service such as PayPal, GunPal, etc, you must dispute the charge with the credit card company and or the payment gateway.
    You, the buyer, will have to show proof that you were denied from your credit card and or payment gateway.
    GunBroker.com will ONLY cover up to $500 on a claim.
    All claims have a $100 deductible.

GunBroker.com will NOT pay any cost associated with sales tax, shipping cost, escrow fees, transfer fees, and fees.

GunBroker.com will deny a claim where the item was picked up in person by you, the buyer.
    GunBroker.com will deny a claim where there is difference in opinion over the condition of the item.
    GunBroker.com will deny a claim when we deem there has been buyer's remorse.
    Smurky thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by brokegun View Post
    If you, the buyer, paid with a credit card and or a payment gateway service such as PayPal, GunPal, etc, you must dispute the charge with the credit card company and or the payment gateway.
    You, the buyer, will have to show proof that you were denied from your credit card and or payment gateway.
    GunBroker.com will ONLY cover up to $500 on a claim.
    All claims have a $100 deductible.

GunBroker.com will NOT pay any cost associated with sales tax, shipping cost, escrow fees, transfer fees, and fees.

GunBroker.com will deny a claim where the item was picked up in person by you, the buyer.
    GunBroker.com will deny a claim where there is difference in opinion over the condition of the item.
    GunBroker.com will deny a claim when we deem there has been buyer's remorse.
    Wow, screw GB. I can't believe that. I didn't realize the protection was so lop sided towards the seller. Both parties should have equitable skin in the game.
    Smurky thanked this.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Nothing wrong with GB you look at feedback and buy! From reputable sources then you won’t have shady deal problems and you examine the firearms before signing the paper work! If it was so dark in someone’s garage that the model couldn’t be made out clearly I would have left and came back with a flashlight lmfao!!!!!!
    and ever gun I have ever purchased has been dirty from being factory test fired!
    SCAR'd Mike, hillbillyjim and Smurky thanked this.

Once you accept it from ffl it is kind of **** out of luck whether you want to hear that or not. If you paid with Amex you can threaten to dispute charges most dealers know Amex is tough to mess with and usually take the customers side 9.9/10. If it’s MasterCard or visa you have a 50/50 chance
    akitainu, LESTER and Smurky thanked this.

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    I agree with the above. Try disputing the CC charge. If you can show that the firearm was sold as new and it was not new, then you should be able to have the charges reversed or at least have the seller refund some of the monies due to selling you a used firearm.

But as others have said, once you leave the FFL with the firearm in hand, it is very hard to prove that the firearm was not new as advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by HK SD9 Tactical View Post
    But as others have said, once you leave the FFL with the firearm in hand, it is very hard to prove that the firearm was not new as advertised.
    I agree with the above. The deal seems shady and if that is a correct assumption then shady just says I sent a new (old stock) and the buyer probably shot it, didnt like it and thats the end of that story. Because that is what shady does. Claims buyers remorse. However, you said he did agree to a partial refund and hopefully you have that in writing. That is the deal right there. He must abide, because if he renigs, then he just got extra shady. That scenario of selling not as advertised then basically you guys agreed to a lower price and him not upholding his end basically makes it a fraud that gives you better footing with the CC.

Of last resort you would have to take em to court. In their state. Likely no worth the cost and effort. You just have to go right down the chain. You already contacted the seller hopefully you did so in writing and have everything up to and including the add that bought from. If you get no love then call the CC and explain them whats up and they should give you the low down on what their process is. The call is just for your information. Any request will have to made in writing. Send certified and keep a copy of your signed letter. Time is not your friend. If this scenario happened months ago you probably wont get far. If it was yesterday much better.

This whole dark in the garage thing... Yes. ball up your fist, and now punch your own face! LOL JK. Dont beat yourself up too much. But you may want to leave that little detail out when talking to ANYONE you are trying to get help from. It just sounds so seedy and the straights just wont understand that FFL's are sometimes just some guy in his garage. Just try to think like a lawyer. Simply say you didnt inspect it closely enough and the usedness was not aparent, the lighting wasnt that great and/or you were not allowed to take it apart until you had signed for possession. Wasnt until you got it home and got a good look under good lighting... bla bla bla.

I will leave off with pragmatic. Is it a nice gun regardless? Or is it all beat up. If its in good shape but just dirty then clean it up and you still have a nice gun. Maybe you just have to live with the lesson learned. If you are like me and your firearms get used a lot they get knocked around anyways. So even if it was brand new it wont be for long. It only takes a few rounds to make a gun look dirty as hell. Besides unless its a glock you really need to put at least a few hundred flawless round through it for it to break in nicely and be sure it wont malfunction when you need it to save a life.

Sorry. That got kind of long.
    Last edited by little_scrapper; 05-24-2020 at 03:11 PM.
    FN47 thanked this.
    "I saw some girl texting and driving the other day and it really pissed me off, so I rolled down my window and threw my beer at her!" LOLz

"If I don't shoot you now, you're never going to learn." ~ me

Sponsored Links