Fn57 “out of battery,” comments, important information for any reloader 40 yrs. exper

FN Forum

Google Search
Thanks Tree14Thanks
  • 4 Post By jhs27275
  • 3 Post By Buffman
  • 2 Post By jhs27275
  • 3 Post By Grumpyolman
  • 1 Post By Buffman
  • 1 Post By Grumpyolman

Thread: Fn57 “out of battery,” comments, important information for any reloader 40 yrs. exper

Fn57 “out of battery,” comments, important information for any reloader 40 yrs. exper

I have just read the manufactures report on an FN57 catastrophic failure(2x the powder blow up). I have 40 yrs. experience as a machinist and 40yrs. as a re-loader. After reading the report some interesting things JUMPED out at me! First, I have shot the fn57 and I love the gun! that being said, first thing i see is why the factory cases have a coating. This is due to the small size of the case. the brass on this small diameter case can not expand very far before a rupture(even under min. loads this will cause damage). This means the chamber to brass case fit would have to be a very tight fit. Thus the coating, to slide the ammunition into position for the breach to properly engage! important to keep this in mind. positive they tried without the coating and it lead to closure problems(as they have failure tested this gun). so now the issues for a re-loader, that is of great concern.

1st.The brass is very thin on this case(I understand another manufacture is producing thicker cases, this would be my first step to improve overall safety, and i would only reload these cases) which means as you refire/trim,etc. the case becomes to weak to contain the pressures involved very quickly! If you are reloading these factory cases I would not do very many reloads before i discarded this case, and please don't sell them to an unsuspecting buying!

2nd. The manufactures report states the firing pin will strike the primer without being in the fully locked breach position at a distance of .118, this surprised me as it is almost 1/8 of an inch! again, this comes back to the coating issue, obviously they want that breach fully closed before a firing pin strike! so if you reload and say you maybe don't get the overall cartridge length right(definitely don't want this rounds lead to contact the bore or anything like that), maybe a primer doesn't seat etc. you could get an over pressure condition very quickly, and guess what, the breach may not be fully locked! Understand, the firing pin striking at .118 before full closure does not mean the gun is unsafe in any way! just that you have to be careful, to reload correctly and INTELLIGENTLY!

my suggestions. reloading for target practice, use the min. loads( I do this all the time in most of my reloads), do you really need a max. load at the target range?
    Carefully check your brass, any significant scratches, or damage, do not fire that round, pull it apart reuse all but the case and primer.
    if your reloading factory shells set a strict limit how many times you will reload before you discard the case.
    My next step, figure out the coating they are using, any one know?

Retired Moderator
    FN Supporter
    The FsN can not fire out of battery.

https://fnforum.net/forums/fn-five-se...ob-firing.html

FS2000 Gen 1
    PS90-SBR Gen 2
    FiveseveN
    FN HP SFS
    FN Model 1905/1906
    (MM's #3860084010, #3860084030, #3810084020, #3480084020)

I did this a few years ago as well as a simple test:
    jhs27275, jaflowers and BigBuckeyeGuy thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Tolerances?
    Worn parts?
    So, it would seem to be a very marginal cartridge to attempt to reload and not for the beginner or incautious to attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by 40yrmachinist View Post
    my suggestions. reloading for target practice, use the min. loads( I do this all the time in most of my reloads), do you really need a max. load at the target range?
    Well sir, if I have identified and documented a consistent accuracy node near max suggested load data AND i'm not observing over pressure signs then yes I will absolutely load near max for target shooting. As is the case with my M1 Garand shooting 150 gr FMJBT's loaded with 48.5 gr of 4064 out to 600 yds. Right at max and shoots outstanding. handloading is a user defined compromise of precision, consistency , and safety. You as the handloader need to responsibly define this compromise based upon your specific firearm and needs. If I have observed more that one identical accuracy node spanning over a wide velocity then yes obviously I load the lesser pressure load. No need to burn a barrel over added unnecessary velocity. (strictly just my opinions)

Retired Moderator
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Road_Clam View Post
    Well sir, if I have identified and documented a consistent accuracy node near max suggested load data AND i'm not observing over pressure signs then yes I will absolutely load near max for target shooting. As is the case with my M1 Garand shooting 150 gr FMJBT's loaded with 48.5 gr of 4064 out to 600 yds. Right at max and shoots outstanding. handloading is a user defined compromise of precision, consistency , and safety. You as the handloader need to responsibly define this compromise based upon your specific firearm and needs. If I have observed more that one identical accuracy node spanning over a wide velocity then yes obviously I load the lesser pressure load. No need to burn a barrel over added unnecessary velocity. (strictly just my opinions)
    The FsN is not your M1. It is a very picky round and if you don't use a lot of caution your pistol and hand could suffer severe damage.

street doctor and Omnislug thanked this.
    FS2000 Gen 1
    PS90-SBR Gen 2
    FiveseveN
    FN HP SFS
    FN Model 1905/1906
    (MM's #3860084010, #3860084030, #3810084020, #3480084020)

ANY reloading requires diligence, These rounds have somewhat critical tolerances and require precision instruments to accurately and reliably load safe rounds. BUT.... any time you try to reload you are putting yourself in danger and those around you! One slip like a double powder charge could prove catastrophic or fatal. That being said, there is NO reason the 5.7 can't be reloaded with the right equipment and safety protocols.
    HK SD9 Tactical, PursuitSS and Buffman thanked this.

As far as firing out of battery, take a look at my post in the reloading section. There's a picture of a case that was completely run into a full sizing die and it still is too long! That shell can be loaded and the gun will fire but the slide will not be all the way back to it's station when the shell is inserted. This can be checked with any recently fired shell by making sure the gun is empty and safe, then insert the unloaded case back in. close the slide and pull the trigger. On my gun the firing pin is engaged which would result in it firing even though the slide is not home and the barrel projects out slightly from the end of the gun.

It may drop the hammer, but it still won't ignite the firing pin, which I crudely showed in the video above. The barrel was still engaged to the breach face when it would also hit the primer..
    PursuitSS thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffman View Post
    It may drop the hammer, but it still won't ignite the firing pin, which I crudely showed in the video above. The barrel was still engaged to the breach face when it would also hit the primer..
    You're right, I phrased that wrong, I should haves said that it MIGHT fire. Too close for comfort on reloads. I'd definitely recommend a go/no go gauge when reloading for this gun!
    Buffman thanked this.

Sponsored Links