Scar 20s Load Development

FN Forum

Google Search
Thanks Tree1Thanks
  • 1 Post By Brennerman

Thread: Scar 20s Load Development

Scar 20s Load Development

Here is my first round of handloads for the Scar 20 (topped off with a NF 4-32, NF mount). I am using primed Lake city brass, IMR 4064, Hornady 178 BTHP. I have attached a photo of the results. There was an interesting group at 41.5 grains. Now I am no expert shooter, shooting from a bench is a little awkward for me (there is no option to go prone, have to shoot from the bench)

I am going to load up some more rounds for the 41.5 and some at 41.4 and 41.6 and see what happens.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Brennerman; 05-18-2020 at 07:33 PM.
    LESTER thanked this.

what kind of velocities?
    have you used varget? it should be similar, but may be more temp tolerant shooting from a hot gun.
    FN SCAR® 20S : Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 H59 : Bobro Engineering SCAR Dual Lever Mount : Surefire – MB762SSAL/RE Muzzle Brake : Accu-Tac SR-5 G2 bipod

I didn't have the space to setup my chronograph at this range. I have to go out of state to get to an open one.

I haven't used Varget as of yet. I will look into trying some out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Again no chronograph, the range here is a covered and didn't allow me to set it up where there is light shining. I will update with velocities in the future. To the results,

I loaded up ten rounds with a range of 41.4 grains of IMR 4064 to 41.7. I fired two five round groups and the best was 41.5. My POA was the red diamond. If I impose the two groups over each other, I have 7 shots in a 9/16 inch group. While the three outliers, I say outliers for I had three rounds that the ogive measurement was off by over .005. My ogive measurement for the 178 hornady BTHP is 2.130 to have an OAL of 2.800 and three of those rounds were at 2.125 and lower.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Brennerman; 06-04-2020 at 07:42 AM.

Sponsored Links