Anyone here with experience making their own Kydex holsters?

FN Forum

Google Search
Thanks Tree5Thanks
  • 1 Post By Milspec
  • 1 Post By SeaMac
  • 1 Post By Milspec
  • 1 Post By Milspec
  • 1 Post By SeaMac

Thread: Anyone here with experience making their own Kydex holsters?

Question Anyone here with experience making their own Kydex holsters?

I'm looking into making my own Kydex holster. What I see available isn't quite what I'm seeking. I've done a bunch of research on vacuum presses, ovens and the different types and thickness of Kydex to use along with the various types of belt clips and hardware offered.

I have determined what belt clip I'll use, a Discreet Carry Concepts Mod 4. I am now trying to figure out how to cast/mold/form my own Bluegun for molding purposes.

My plan is to make a right hand, tuckable, FBI canted - which I believe is 10°- IWB holster that will fit an FN 509 MRD Midsize with its suppressor height sights, threaded barrel, Trijicon RMR and Surefire XC2 laser/light and to be carried comfortably at 3 O'clock.

I currently use a Travis Haley INCOG SHADOW ECLIPSE XC-1E for my G19 Gen 4 w/XC1 which is a really nice holster but they don't make any holsters for FN's.

I'd also like to make an OWB holster that will allow me to carry my 509 with its Omega 9k suppressor attached. I have seen a few suppressor ready holsters but again not for a 509 configured as it will be.

Any input is appreciated! Thanks!!
    Last edited by SeaMac; 06-18-2020 at 04:09 PM.
    "Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn." ~ John C. Maxwell

Μολὼν λάβε

I've often thought about diving into this. I just haven't been able to justify the equipment and supply expense. It doesn't seem to make sense if I'm only making carriers, clips and holsters for myself.

Edit: I've thought about doing leather also.

This guy took an interesting route:

Last edited by Milspec; 06-18-2020 at 04:51 PM.
    SeaMac thanked this.

Hey Mil,

Been awhile, hope all is well. I have accepted that if I want what I want I'm likely to have to make it myself. Doing my research I found used vacuum presses for reasonable prices, I've got an oven in the kitchen that would suffice and a vacuum pump I already own. I just need to figure out how to successfully make a mold and learn some tips from those who have already made their own holsters. If all goes well maybe a little business to keep me out of trouble but first I gotta make the first holster...
    Milspec thanked this.

Μολὼν λάβε

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

It appears that you can vacuum press or form press. I'm not sure what the features and benefits are of either process. Why pick one over the other?
    SeaMac thanked this.

It's my understanding you'll get a better form fit with a vacuum press. This is of course is a thread seeking info from those experienced in Kydex therefore my understanding could be incorrect.

Μολὼν λάβε

Here is another good one. This guy is pretty interesting. Though I don't really care for his belt loop methods.

Last edited by Milspec; 06-18-2020 at 08:23 PM.
    SeaMac thanked this.

Thanks for sharing that. I did learn with a few tricks you can use different belt loops/clips and I found the ones I would use which allow for tucking a shirt, are well known for their keeping ability so you don't draw the holster along with your pistol and are fairly discrete. Check out Discreet Carry Concepts...
    Milspec thanked this.

Μολὼν λάβε

Sponsored Links