Why do people hunt bears ?

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Thanks Tree110Thanks

Thread: Why do people hunt bears ?

Why do people hunt bears ?

I was watching a show on one of the hunting/outdoor channels "Savage Outdoors." From Savage Arms. I like Accutrigger but I don't understand something. Sportsman Channel.

They were in Canada somewhere an there were about five or six of them. Briefly, they had set up barrels in the woods that appeared to have food in them, some kind of a attractant (illegal in my state from what I can read, Georgia.) Anyway, they waited for the bears to come eat and then two women shot some bears with a bow and later another guy with a Savage rifle.

My question. How is that hunting? Am I missing something? First, why are they using attractants? And why do they hunt the bears in the first place? Do they eat them? Does it thin the herd so bears don't starve like deer?

I can eat a deer and thin the population but I just didn't get the bear hunting on this show. It looks pointless and unsporting (if you can have such a thing killing animals.)

Back when I was young and single, I used to hunt cougars, but that was a whole different story..........

Actually, bear meat is edible. Very gamy IMO.
    As to what constitutes a "sporting hunt". I guess that varies by individual. I don't have a dog in the fight, so just so long as it's legal, I have no issues.
    Last edited by Longhorn1986; 08-10-2017 at 08:28 AM.
    OvrK0, Mntsnow and Ironminer thanked this.

If kept in check they are fine. If they become overpopulated they become a problem. Yes they can and do. They eat your feed, invade your home, ear your pets and can eat you. If you need any other reason than that than I don't know what to tell you.
    Mntsnow and Ironminer thanked this.
    "Never forget, even for an instant, that the one and only reason anybody has for taking your gun away is to make you weaker than he is, so he can do something to you that you wouldn't let him do if you were equipped to prevent it. This goes for burglars, muggers, and rapists, and even more so for policeman, bureaucrats, and politicians."

-Aaron Zelman and L. Neil Smith, Hope, 2001

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Hunting over bait is legal in some states with some species. I have taken bear both over bait (where legal) and in the open where hunting over bait is not legal. In places like Pennsylvania, bear can be very damaging to farmers crops. Just a couple bears can flatten acres of corn. Although hunting over bait there is not legal, when corn is about to harvest in the fall, it is about as close to hunting over bait as you can get.

Thinning the population of bear is just as important as deer or wild boar in certain places. Unfortunately there are some people that hunt bear for sport, just like other species. They are typically looking to get a bear rug or something similar for their den or man cave. The bad part is that these hunts are usually the ones that end up on TV. I have eaten a very large percentage of the bear meat that I have harvested during hunting. It is an acquired taste that varies with the diet that the bear had during its life. Bear that grew up in the woods will taste differently than one that grew up eating the farmers corn. Sex of the bear and time of year it was harvested also effects taste.

For the most part, bears are no threat to humans. They will typically run at the first sight or sound of people. That is why some people use bait when hunting them. The cases of issues with bear/human interaction is typically when the humans feed the bears (intentionally or accidentally with things like trash cans or bird feeders) and the bear then get used to humans and no longer run from them. Typically that is when fish and game either have to relocate the bears, or put them down. As with all wildlife they have to be respected, but they are not the man eating monster that some people make them out to be. The most dangerous situation is getting between a female bear and her cubs.
    Last edited by kmiles; 08-10-2017 at 11:51 AM.
    kansas, BuckRogers2000 and Ironminer thanked this.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Funny how our last scammer! Greg Cooper had a thing for Aliens and Bears!
    FS2KSTD, hillbillyjim, Smurky and 7 others thanked this.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by LESTER View Post
    Wow an exact copy of the post from 2011.
    Cool stuff coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by LESTER View Post
    Funny how our last scammer! Greg Cooper had a thing for Aliens and Bears!

Damn was hoping to buy an imaginary colt python lmfao
    FS2KSTD, LESTER, kansas and 4 others thanked this.

Where my land is we have a very healthy black bear population, about the closest I ever came to shooting any was when two cubs climbed in the back of my Ram , pulled out my cooler, and drank my last two beers! I don't hunt them 'cause I'm old and fat, they're too damned heavy to drag, the meat is greasy (I'm already on cholesterol med.s) and if I ever made a rug out of one I'd probably just trip over the head and hurt myself!
    Canyon Man and BuckRogers2000 thanked this.

Thanks to the Admins for the Scammer avatar!
    LESTER, Smurky, Macprowler and 1 others thanked this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links