FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Thanks Tree6Thanks

Thread: Knife sharpener reviews

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter

Knife sharpener reviews

Ok I thought this deserved another sticky. Feel free to post up your favorite Sharpener with review

I picked up Smith's® Diamond Field Sharpening Kit from Lowes(a local hardware store) last night for $29. I have used a whetstone, an Auto sharpener and a dremel(for lawn mower blades) in the past, but this is my first "pro" kit.

I sharpened 2 knives with it last night and the results were darn impressive. The first knife was a 2" Schrade that wasn't dull, but wasn't razor sharp either. The second was an ancient Boy Scout knife of my fathers. I tried the metal clamp but I couldn't get the smaller 2" blades to seat properly and found doing it by hand worked better for me. The Schrade came out amazingly sharp and even the Boy Scout knife as rusty and dull as it was, turned out razor sharp. It only took a couple minutes on both. The schrade actually shaved a small patch of hair on my arm and they both easily sliced paper afterwards. I only used the course stone on the BS knife as the Schrade's blade was semi sharp already.

I haven't tried it on my cutlery yet, as I want to "hone" my skills a little more on cheaper knives. I gotta give it two thumbs up so far. I am only giving it 4 stars out of 5 as the clamp vice is a little akward, but still works. It isn't perfect, but it does a great job and doesn't ruin your knives like a lot of those auto sharpeners can/will.

http://www.amazon.com/Smiths%C2%AE-D...1151263&sr=8-3

JMike thanked this.
    x
    x
    x
    x
    Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, its learning how to dance in the rain.
    x
    You see in this world there's two kinds of people my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig?

Very similar to the Lansky sharpening kit.

It's probably just the steel that I'm sharpening (S30V), but it takes a bit of work to get a good edge (although I don't have to sharpen those knives very often).

On my older Kershaw hunting knife that's just labeled "3120 Japan" it sharpened that pretty well. It was very dull by the time I got the sharpener (and had a chip out of it thanks to my father). I ended up putting a steeper angle on the edge, so it took longer than if I had just kept the original angle, but it too is nice and sharp again.
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

I use the Lansky 3 Diamond Stone kit when I need to put the bevel back into the blade or if I have really abused it. Unfortunately that is more often than I like to admit, I am pretty rough on my knives - no show pieces. It works great for that purpose. I am not a fan of the finish it leaves on the edge. So I use a Lansky turnbox with the fine white colored sticks to finish the edge after using the stones. I also use it to hone between sharpenings. The current set of sticks are about 8 years old and need replacement, but there are hundreds of sharpenings into that set.

Joel

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

OK, I'd like to post a couple 4 and 5 star sharpeing items from inexpensive to well, not cheap. But here's some stuff you might want to look into.

First of all is a King 1000/6000grit combination waterstone for just $35:

http://www.thejapanwoodworker.com/pr...apanWoodworker

This isn't a large stone but works great as a first Waterstone to experiment with and later as a take with you travel stone. Waterstones have a couple advantages. The biggest is that they cut faster and finer than other stones. Less strokes needed makes it easier to maintain an angle than with stones that cut slower. The 6000grit side will leave a near mirror finish on an edge and is signifigantly finer than all but the finest (and very expensive) black Arkansas stones.
    Another big advantage of waterstones is that water is simply not as messy to work with as Oil is. You can set a waterstone on anything rinseable and just wash away any mess, you can't do that with oilstones. And of course you should always have water available were maybe not with honing oil.
    You do have to flatten waterstones more often, the friable abrasives that make them cut faster also wears the stone faster. Flattening is simple though, you can use wet/dry paper on a flat surface or a cheapy $2 carborundum stone like I do.

I've experimented with I forget how many different types of strops and compounds, this is the combo that I like the best for traditional edges:

This Strop:

http://www.thejapanwoodworker.com/pr...&dept_id=13100

With this Compound:

http://www.woodcarvers.com/yellowstone.htm

The reason the composition strop is better for flat edges is that it doesn't give like leather strops do and won't give you a compound angle like leather strops will. You can get a truly flat edge without rounding off the very end. For convex edges you want a leather strop but the Wood is Good strop is the thing for truly flat surfaces.
    Another advantage to the Composition strop is that you can clean it off easily if you want to use different compounds. A little WD-40 and a paper towel will clean off all the compound off in seconds. With leather strops whatever compound you use first is always going to be there to some extent.

Herb's Yellowstone will give you a bright mirror finish quicker and easier than any other compound I've tried. Even if you are using leather strops you should try it. 5+star stuff in my book. It polishes quicker and finer than any green chromium oxide I've ever tried.

Last but not least is a complete system for SERIOUS sharpeners:

The Tormek system and it's jigs are superb:

http://www.thejapanwoodworker.com/de...&dept_id=13265

I prefer mine with a 4000grit Waterstone:

http://www.thejapanwoodworker.com/pr...&dept_id=13268

Mine is a "King" brand.

The original stone cuts VERY quickly on knives, really IMHO too quickly for knives. The 4000grit wheel takes a little patience but with a knive jig it will give you a superior edge. Go straight from the 4000grit wheel to a little polishing on the composition strop and you can have an edge that will litterally shave hairs halfway through.

The Tormek Scissors attatchment is awesome. I recommend you buy it to make your Wife happy and as an excuse to justify the whole system .

It's really kinda hard to describe how sharp a knife really is. Shaving arm hair sharp is really pretty easy, on a scale of say 1 to 10 shaving arm hair is maybe a 3 to 4. Being able to shave the letters off newsprint takes a better edge that's maybe a 7 or so. The Tormek will probably get you to 7 or 8. If you have a long hair you should be able to hold it at one end and cut it while dangling it in midair. - This is a good bit sharper than you'll see an average knife.

So anyway I highly recommend that everyone should try the WaterStone, Strop and Compound. For well less than $100 you can take your edges to a new level of sharpness (with a little practice).

The Tormek is awesome but is best for a serious user or maybe a group buy for a club or the like. I talked to one guy who wanted to know about it for their hunting club, he bought one with the 4000 grit wheel, stop, compound and all and wrote back that it was Exactly as advertised and they had sharper knives now than they had ever thought possible.

More reviews to come.....................................DJ
    "As democracy is perfected, the office of President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright moron."

--- H.L. Mencken, The Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920

I really like the Spyderco Sharp Maker. With very little practice, I can get shaving sharp every time. Very simple, keeps the angle consistent. The biggest complaint is if your knife is really dull, it can take a while. Sharpens scissors too.

macatac
    Duff thanked this.

+1 for spyderco, I use the tri-angle sharpmaker. Love it Iv'e been using it over 20yrs
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
    A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.
    DH Lawrence

Yep and another for spyderco
    Duff thanked this.

Another recommendation for the Spyderco Sharpmaker. I do supplement mine with a leather strop.

I have the Lansky kit (made in the U.S.A.) and like it a lot. It is similar to the Smith kit. It can really get knives sharp.

I have the following stones; 70, 120, 280, 600, 1000, 2000, & leather strop. It takes but a few strokes unless the edge is damaged. Damaged edges are what the 70-280 grits are for.
    ----------------------------------------
    FNX-9; factory test fired 3/30/2011

Any updates out there? I am looking for a good all purpose sharpening tool/stone. Something that will sharpen everything from a Swiss Army Knife to a OKC 8" Ranger and a SOG Flash in between.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links