— seeking guidance with Nfa compliance—. - Page 3

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree107Thanks

Thread: — seeking guidance with Nfa compliance—.

Quote Originally Posted by akitainu View Post
    I don't see that the Form 20 available to e-file, Troubles.

This link has a decent walk-through of the form:

https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/bl...nfa-firearms-1

Good luck on the move, man. Take care, be safe and be well.

^^^^ excellent— thank you. Really appreciate that scott. I will still be around. Working in healthcare - I can’t just up and go— but I am looking forward to being with my family again (they are up there already) and enjoying their first spring. They are Florida kids. Never seen a proper rotation of seasons. Was teaching my 8 year old daughter how to look for the budding leaves on the tree in the front yard. Funny how kids see stuff— with brand new eyes and always learning. They keep me breathing and inspired. Like hk said— south Florida is a haven for liberalism— it’s crazy some of the stuff I see and am privy too. In my building where I work of 500 employees, I am the only white born American, English speaking male. Not that I’m unique or anything- but I for demographic status— it’s interesting.
    Smurky and akitainu thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by akitainu View Post
    Been watching it play out in Texas for years now. I try not to think about it too much, as it gives me gastrointestinal discomfort.

same thing with my home state of Colorado. It’s crazy. It’s probably more pervasive and deadly than the corona virus.

Quote Originally Posted by HK SD9 Tactical View Post
    The 5320.20 can only be filed in paper form. Mine usually get approved and returned in under 30 days. Like Miami Dade, Hillsborough (Tampa) is also now a liberal haven instead of solid conservatism. St Pete across the bay makes Miami Dade seem conservative. Our only paper is the Tampa Times which is a liberal ragsheet that should be sold in super market check out lines next to the Enquire and the like. Good luck with your move. I probably wont be far behind you in leaving these liberal strong holds. On the 5320-20, file one for each item, including your suppressors. Mark them as permanent change of location for your NFA items. These must be approved prior to your move or must be left behind under control of another trustee (if a trust). If not a trust, then you can't move the items unless under proper control. Some Class III FFL's will hold them for you if you have to move prior to the 5320-20 being approved.

cant agree with you more. Dade and all of se Florida is so liberal now. Been here since 98. Met married my wife, got my doctorate, bought my place and had 2 kids- and in that short amount of time, I don’t recognize this place anymore. Even my old university which was a private catholic university is now a liberal flagship in the area.
    akitainu thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

5227B640-FB99-4285-BE71-7D9BE4325700.jpg I finally have everything completed— but now I need some guidance on how to submit.

a few questions for you gents.

1) what is best way to send: options are: Some options are fax, mail, or email.?
    2)What is turn around or your experience in doing these forms.?

the mail version seems best (priority tracker 2 day) to me- call me old school- but it says to send 2 forms.
    1) Does this mean I can include a photocopy version with the original?

2) And if I were to fax or email them— any idea of return date/time frame,

3)and do I still need to send 2 copies?
    Last edited by Troublesx10; 04-08-2020 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublesx10 View Post

Nice! You got it back? How long did it take start to finish?
    Troublesx10 thanked this.

I would say 45 - 60 with using the link on page two as a guide, writing slow, and print/block writing. I had to thro out many as I made a mistake or was hard to read. After I go the hang of it I was able to make original in 30 mins. Had 6 pages to do

haven’t gotten it back— getting ready to send. Trying to decide best way to do so
    Smurky thanked this.

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    If you can fax, then fax it but I do not think that this will make a difference in processing time. Again, I usually get mine back in 30 days or less, but not much less. Depends on whether there are any backlogs on these forms or not.

With 6 pages, you need to send in 12 forms, 2 of each form. You do not need to send in the instruction sheet, just the primary page with the information on it. You have to send in 2 copies of each. The ATF keeps one and you get the other approved one back.

Keep the approved forms with the firearms/cans while in movement (in your possession) as this is the only documentation that allows for the movement of the NFA firearms from state to state that allows NFA items. While traveling, make sure the items are disassembled and lock in a container away from the travel compartment of the vehicle. This is good advice for traveling the entire trip, keep them disassembled and locked up at all times. If you are a CCW permit holder, make sure you know which states your CCW permit is valid in. If you can not put the items in a locked case, then make sure they are disassembled and locked up somehow, like using cable locks, and not in the travel compartment of the vehicle. You must keep in the spirit of the law of the movement of firearms from state to state. Each state may have different rules. Some of the unfriendly states will lock you up for just traveling through their state if you do not comply with the letter of the law, and sometimes they will lock you up just to make you forfeit your firearms by charging you with a BS crime and then making you pay tens of thousands of dollars to get your stuff back, in the hopes you will just abandon them. Then there are NO NO states that do not allow NFA items at all. If a state does not allow a NFA item, you can not legally travel through that state with the NFA item, even with an approved 5320.20.

Also, there is a letter from the USAG about interstate/intrastate transportation of firearms in the US. Make sure you have a copy of that as well. Remember that firearms and NFA items are 2 different categories of firearms.

Avoid unfriendly states if at all possible. If you have any magazines that are more than 7 rounds (like NY), make sure they are unloaded and locked in suitable container. Some states are 10 rounds (like MASS). Make sure that ammunition and magazines are locked in separate containers. Zip ties are not locks so if you have Jerry cans of ammo, make sure you have them locked with better than zip ties. Stop only in unfriendly states for gas, food, and emergencies only. I make it a point to not stop in any of these states as I feel that if they do not want to honor the 2nd, then I will be damned if I spend a penny in their back-a$$ed state. Also be aware that some states require that if you are stopped by any type of police, you must declare that you have firearms to the police. Each state is different and IIRC, there are only 2 or 3 states that require this.

Get a PDF copy (or hard copy if not in PDF) of the DoJ published firearm laws for the States (State Laws and Published Ordinances - Firearms 5300.5). Keep this document with you on your phone or tablet or laptop. It's about 1" thick (in print) and pin head print size but has all the published firearms laws of every State. It is usually updated yearly. I do not know where you are heading to, but plan a circuitous route to avoid some States. I avoid the NE corridor by traveling up through VA and Penn. I can avoid DC, MD, DE, and NJ by doing this. I have to travel through NY though as I can not get to NH without traveling through NY. Avoid NY City at all costs if you are traveling to the North East. Unless you have a NY City permit for each specific firearm and a permit to take each specific firearm out of your house in NY City, then you are screwed. So if you are not from NY City, then you do not have a permit for any firearm.

Do NOT declare to anyone that you are traveling with firearms, ammunition, magazines, NFA items, or cans unless you are required by law to do so.

https://www.ammoland.com/2016/10/tra...s-legal-brief/ (Brief on traveling with NFA items)

https://www.3gtactical.com/nfa/nfa-state-restrictions (NFA guidelines on what states allow what NFA items)

And most importantly, the approved 5320.20 DOES NOT circumvent state laws. If your NFA items are illegal in the state you are traveling through, it is illegal to even travel through that state with the NFA item.

Do not go by the rules that a FFL can utilize to travel with NFA items, you are not a FFL holder and therefore the rules for FFL holders do not apply to the common folk like you of me.

I am not a lawyer and do not even play one on TV, so make sure that you do your own research as I can not be responsible if the information above is incorrect or incomplete. You are on your own........

Keep them apart, locked, hidden, and never talk about them with anyone and you should be fine.
    Troublesx10, Milspec, Smurky and 1 others thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK SD9 Tactical View Post
    If you can fax, then fax it but I do not think that this will make a difference in processing time. Again, I usually get mine back in 30 days or less, but not much less. Depends on whether there are any backlogs on these forms or not.

With 6 pages, you need to send in 12 forms, 2 of each form. You do not need to send in the instruction sheet, just the primary page with the information on it. You have to send in 2 copies of each. The ATF keeps one and you get the other approved one back.

Keep the approved forms with the firearms/cans while in movement (in your possession) as this is the only documentation that allows for the movement of the NFA firearms from state to state that allows NFA items. While traveling, make sure the items are disassembled and lock in a container away from the travel compartment of the vehicle. This is good advice for traveling the entire trip, keep them disassembled and locked up at all times. If you are a CCW permit holder, make sure you know which states your CCW permit is valid in. If you can not put the items in a locked case, then make sure they are disassembled and locked up somehow, like using cable locks, and not in the travel compartment of the vehicle. You must keep in the spirit of the law of the movement of firearms from state to state. Each state may have different rules. Some of the unfriendly states will lock you up for just traveling through their state if you do not comply with the letter of the law, and sometimes they will lock you up just to make you forfeit your firearms by charging you with a BS crime and then making you pay tens of thousands of dollars to get your stuff back, in the hopes you will just abandon them. Then there are NO NO states that do not allow NFA items at all. If a state does not allow a NFA item, you can not legally travel through that state with the NFA item, even with an approved 5320.20.

Also, there is a letter from the USAG about interstate/intrastate transportation of firearms in the US. Make sure you have a copy of that as well. Remember that firearms and NFA items are 2 different categories of firearms.

Avoid unfriendly states if at all possible. If you have any magazines that are more than 7 rounds (like NY), make sure they are unloaded and locked in suitable container. Some states are 10 rounds (like MASS). Make sure that ammunition and magazines are locked in separate containers. Zip ties are not locks so if you have Jerry cans of ammo, make sure you have them locked with better than zip ties. Stop only in unfriendly states for gas, food, and emergencies only. I make it a point to not stop in any of these states as I feel that if they do not want to honor the 2nd, then I will be damned if I spend a penny in their back-a$$ed state. Also be aware that some states require that if you are stopped by any type of police, you must declare that you have firearms to the police. Each state is different and IIRC, there are only 2 or 3 states that require this.

Get a PDF copy (or hard copy if not in PDF) of the DoJ published firearm laws for the States (State Laws and Published Ordinances - Firearms 5300.5). Keep this document with you on your phone or tablet or laptop. It's about 1" thick (in print) and pin head print size but has all the published firearms laws of every State. It is usually updated yearly. I do not know where you are heading to, but plan a circuitous route to avoid some States. I avoid the NE corridor by traveling up through VA and Penn. I can avoid DC, MD, DE, and NJ by doing this. I have to travel through NY though as I can not get to NH without traveling through NY. Avoid NY City at all costs if you are traveling to the North East. Unless you have a NY City permit for each specific firearm and a permit to take each specific firearm out of your house in NY City, then you are screwed. So if you are not from NY City, then you do not have a permit for any firearm.

Do NOT declare to anyone that you are traveling with firearms, ammunition, magazines, NFA items, or cans unless you are required by law to do so.

https://www.ammoland.com/2016/10/tra...s-legal-brief/ (Brief on traveling with NFA items)

https://www.3gtactical.com/nfa/nfa-state-restrictions (NFA guidelines on what states allow what NFA items)

And most importantly, the approved 5320.20 DOES NOT circumvent state laws. If your NFA items are illegal in the state you are traveling through, it is illegal to even travel through that state with the NFA item.

Do not go by the rules that a FFL can utilize to travel with NFA items, you are not a FFL holder and therefore the rules for FFL holders do not apply to the common folk like you of me.

I am not a lawyer and do not even play one on TV, so make sure that you do your own research as I can not be responsible if the information above is incorrect or incomplete. You are on your own........

Keep them apart, locked, hidden, and never talk about them with anyone and you should be fine.

first off-... I want to thank you hk for the reply. I know it took time, effort and energy to reply in earnest to me. Thank you sir.

1). As for mailing the 2 copies — can one be original and one be a photocopy if the original—- or do I have to send 2 copies of originals??

2). is it ok to paper clip them to separate both sets of copies, and mail at same time??

im traveling from Florida to Tennessee. I can go thru Georgia or Alabama to get there. I have to look at which is a better route, as I don’t know much about either state.

1). Any idea is one is a better route than another??

I also didn’t know about traveling with ammo and guns at same time. I’m making 2 trips so I can easily separate both in the trips.

People's Republik of Dane county, Wisconsin
    Good luck on the approval Troubles and let us know when it’s returned. Also best of luck on the move to you and your family.

There was a time when I moved about every 2 years for my job but now have settled in for 25yrs back close to where I started from and a mile from where my wife was baptized. I didn’t regret any of the moves, one of them was the Chicago burbs, just keep looking forward.
    LESTER, Troublesx10, akitainu and 1 others thanked this.

Thanks smurky. Will do. I moved from Colorado to north Dakota / Minnesota, to Florida, and now I’m headed to Tennessee. I honestly can say I have appreciated the experience, but hate the process. Only know each step has resulted in better experiences and each time. Im sure the 3 star state only has more to come.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links