FN Herstal Firearms banner

Disapproved Forms Money Retuned?

13K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  9mmkungfu 
#1 · (Edited)
I had a form disapproved because I put the wrong model number on my AR Lower so had to resubmit it. This was 3 weeks ago and my credit card has still not been refunded the $200. Have any of you received a refund and how long did it take? (I know they have to refund it)

ETA: Should have clarified that it was eForms, only way to pay with a CC

#3 ·
If you already resubmitted, then you have already payed again. I have heard it can take up to two months to see the refund.

Did you try the email-Ted-Clutter thing? I had an 11/14 eForm1 denied last week because I FWI-ed (Filled While Intox...) and forgot my trust's name and address so the final submitted form showed no name and just a location of "United States." On Monday, I resubmitted a correct form and emailed Ted Clutter with old and new control numbers and the form was approved on Tuesday. Lower is at engraver now.

So... I guess I'm in the same boat about the refund.

-Drew

#4 ·
Was it disapproved or disapproved pending correction? If the later, make the correction and submit the correction for approval and they will hold the money as your form is still kind of pending based on the correction. If an outright disapproval, they will refund the money but it could take many weeks. You knoe the govt, you owe them a penney and the want it now. They owe you and it's "when we get around to it" as the refund paperwork has to be submitted, cross checked to make sure you don't owe the govt anything (including state child support) and only then will a refund be issued. If budget approval is held up (which it was), that could delay as well.

You will get your money back, it just takes longer from the govt.

#5 · (Edited)
If it was eform and you paid with CC - it may take a few weeks.

Shoot them a email (which I had to do for a disapprove eform) disapproved eforms they refund your money and you have to re-submit the form and payment - If you kept a copy of the payment (again CC thru the eform site) send that as well

If its a paper form - contact (direct if you know the examiner for you state) they will hold your money - allow you to make the correction on the form (you cant do that on eform (ergo) you have to be refunded your money and do the for again ... good reason to save you forms as a template on the eform site

#6 ·
Sorry guys I failed to mention it was eForm's, I said Credit Card, but should have clarified. So unfortunately there was no option to correct it, they had to disapprove and I had to fully resubmit. But I was primarily curious if anyone had experience with that and how long it took, I am hoping something like 30 days, but like HK said its the gov so everything takes 10 times longer then it should.

#7 ·
Yep - happened to me on 2x Eform 1s - did not use my trust name

Got 1 CC payment back w/in 7 business days

The other took a over 14 business days - I sent the email of CC payment ATF sends (thank god I kept it) - and 1 phone call and was squared away - just a PITA you cannot Eform correct (other wise I would have been in that first test batch of approved forms in 90days when they just got the site up).

Got my money back - re-submitted (save the forms as templates - which I advise on the site) and got them back approved in 120 days....but seems now you can get it done as I am tracking most eForm 1s have a turn around of 30 days +/-

#9 ·
Per HK SD9 Tactical ; " Quote "....

You know the govt, you owe them a penny and the want it now. They owe you and it's "when we get around to it"

Truer words are seldom spoken !

Reactions: Big Muddy
#13 · (Edited)
I've been disapproved (I have a knack for rushing through forms) 3 times on eforms. I also had a glitch where I was charged but my form 1 never went pending. The glitch refund was received in exactly two weeks. The first disapproval was on 09/27/2014. I finally received my refund 12/22/2014. I had to call and ask about that one. I was told it was processed on 12/2/2014. The other two disapprovals were just on 12/18/2014 (forgot to note why I was making sbr's) so I'm not sure when I'll see those. I'll probably get approved for the re-submissions before I receive the refunds.

#14 ·
I've been dissapproved (I have a knack for rushing through forms) 3 times on eforms. I also had a glitch where I was charged but my form 1 never went pending. The glitch refund was received in exactly two weeks. The first dissapproval was on 09/27/2014. I finally received my refund 12/22/2014. I had to call and ask about that one. I was told it was processed on 12/2/2014. The other two disapprovals were just on 12/18/2014 (forgot to note why I was making sbr's) so I'm not sure when I'll see those. I'll probably get approved for the re-submissions before I receive the refunds.
Mine was disapproved on 12/10/14, maybe the holiday just slowed them down they are the gov so they probably shutdown around the holidays... /sarcasm

#17 ·
So long story short, I filed a Spikes lower about 6 months ago and put model "AR-15" as it was an option in the dropdown list on the NFA eForms site, I didnt think much about it as it was approved without any issues.

Jump forward to 1 month ago and I do another Spikes lower and select "AR-15" again since the only change was the serial number. After the disapproval I called the NFA and asked why they said that "AR-15" is not a model number, so I went home and checked the lower and it did in fact say Model: "ST-15". Alas I resubmitted the form and am now waiting on the approval.

The real question is if my other APPROVED form with model "AR-15" is valid...

#18 ·
Wow, that's a tough call. Seems like the chance this would become an issue in the real world is one in a thousand. It would appear since you have an approved form 1 with stamp you would probably win in a court of law, but it would suck to have to defend your position. On the other hand if the ATF wanted to play hard ball they might claim you provided false information when filling out the form. Hard to imagine it would ever come to that.

#20 ·
Here's a thought. The ATF considers you or your trust to be the manufacturer of the SBR. You might consider taking it back to the engraver and under where your trust name is have them engrave the words "MODEL AR-15". As the manufacturer you should be entitled to label it any way you want and that would square it with the paperwork. Feel free to call me an idiot if this sounds like a bad idea.

#21 ·
That is actually pretty smart I didnt think about that, I could have my laser engraver do that no problem, I may end up calling the NFA just to get clarification and if they say it needs to be modified or resubmitted I will ask them if I can just have my engraver "change" the model number.

This is all so stupid, talk about pointless government red tape that accomplishes nothing...

#23 ·
I would just engrave and not call. Form 1s are you as the manufacturer so you can use that. Why kick a sleeping dog if you don't have to. This could potentially go down a similar path as the Sig brace...........

Old saying; "Ask me no questions, I tell you no lies!"
In this case; "Ask them no question, you get no interpretation based on the side of the bed the agent got up on that morning."

Just saying that you could call at 10 and get one interpretation and then at 11 get another. Plus if you really want clarification, I would want it in writing.

#24 ·
Just saying that you could call at 10 and get one interpretation and then at 11 get another.
This is absolutely in line with my experiences.

#26 ·
All my issues (except the glitch) were caused by own dumb ass. When I say I have a tendency to f*** stuff up, I'm not really trying to be self-deprecating. I really do have a knack.

Reactions: hillbillyjim
#27 ·
Just curious, did you ever get your refund? I'm just about at four weeks and still haven't received mine. I'm hoping it won't be three month like last time.

#30 ·
I still haven't, the funny part is I resubmitted my form and already got it back approved. I should have the refund here "soon" according to the NFA and will definitely let you guys know when I get it! Please do the same as well.

I only did it over email I should call though as Kev suggested

#31 ·
Well, I still haven't gotten my refunds. But, I did get the stamps for the resubmissions. So that's something, I suppose. :smile:

Reactions: LESTER
This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.