SCAR 17 - Goodbye EOTech, Hello...1-4?

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree29Thanks

Thread: SCAR 17 - Goodbye EOTech, Hello...1-4?

Lightbulb SCAR 17 - Goodbye EOTech, Hello...1-4?

Well, as the title states...goodbye EOTech. Sent mine in earlier this week for a refund, so it's time to upgrade the optic on the SCAR. I had been happy with EOTechs on firearms I used in the past, so it seemed like a good placeholder for the time being, and performed well for me out to 100 yards...and the occasional 200 yard target. It was supposed to be temporary, but procrastination. This is now my kick in the rear to change it up.

For this go around anyhow, I am only looking to spend $500-$700 on the optic itself. Aside from that investment, I plan to mount it using the ADM Delta QD mount, I've read nothing but positive things.

I have read through a ton of old posts, and could just leave it at that...but of course, here I am. I'd like to get current advice to see if there are any recommendations or options that have come up since, and make sure I'm getting the best for the comparatively small amount I'm looking to spend vs what I often see around here.

I am looking for an optic that can perform at close range, I obviously don't expect for it to be up to the level of an EOTech at this function, but some close engagement ability would be preferred. I want to keep my SCAR lightweight, and adaptable to anywhere from close up shots, to about 100-150 yards, and not setup as a bench rifle. I typically shoot 50-100, with closer shots mixed in. But do occasionally shoot out to 200 as mentioned. Like stated, I prefer not to weigh it down with long range optics and a bipod, as I feel I have that covered in other platforms. The longest shooting range I have access to around here is 300 max anyhow, so doesn't provide much motivation for a long distance setup.
    (I was momentarily considering a Nikon M-308 4-16 + Atlas bipod, I can't even follow my own rules!)

From what I've learned about my preferences as related to optics, my top choices are:

Leupold VX-R Partol 1.25-4 SPR
    (Great reviews, great company, great warranty...minus it only being two years for the electronics)

Vortex Viper PST 1-4
    (Great reviews, from what I've read it's an excellent company, with an unbelievable warranty)

Burris MTAC 1-4
    (Heard positive things, haven't really looked at this one as closely as the other two)

I've also poked around at the Trijicon Accupoint 1-4, but didn't prefer that over the above, which of course are all less. There weren't any other local options that I could pick up and look at besides those. This weekend I will be in a much bigger city and should be able to check out a wider selection, so I'm trying to get any additional ideas or recommendation as I'm headed out for that trip in a few days.

Any advice, personal experience, or other similar options AROUND the same price point...would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    warpig3, jimbo45 and Performify thanked this.

Looks like you have the bases pretty well covered with those that you mentioned in your post. The leupold would be (and was) my choice. Look through them and you be able to make up your mind much easier one you have them in hand. Good luck.
    SnowSCAR thanked this.
    "Never forget, even for an instant, that the one and only reason anybody has for taking your gun away is to make you weaker than he is, so he can do something to you that you wouldn't let him do if you were equipped to prevent it. This goes for burglars, muggers, and rapists, and even more so for policeman, bureaucrats, and politicians."

-Aaron Zelman and L. Neil Smith, Hope, 2001

if you are looking for 1-4x, one scope that doesn't get mentioned much is the leatherwood hilux cmr4. I own this scope as well as the vortex viper PST 1-4. I like them both, but the glass is crisper on the hi lux and I prefer its reticle as well. The vortex is brighter and has less tendency to wash out in the sunlight and it has an off feature in between each illumination setting which I like vs only 2 off settings on the hi lux. Between these 2 scopes, my personal opinion I give a slight edge to the hi lux.
    SnowSCAR thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Vortex Viper PST 1-4
    SnowSCAR thanked this.

what if you just got another eotech and a magnifier? other than that the vortex is supposed to be very good and I've seen a lot of good things about the hilux but have never personally used one.
    SnowSCAR thanked this.

Hmmm dont want to break the bank look at that 1x6 Vortex Strike Eagle

I went with a Leupold Mk6 on my 17 in a Spuhr mount
    SnowSCAR thanked this.

A short drive from the center of the universe
    Somewhat off topic, but how long after your filled out and sent your return request did it take for you to get an RMA from Eotech?
    SnowSCAR thanked this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Demons run when a good man goes to war

Quote Originally Posted by KameronTKelly View Post
    Looks like you have the bases pretty well covered with those that you mentioned in your post. The leupold would be (and was) my choice. Look through them and you be able to make up your mind much easier one you have them in hand. Good luck.
    I have done my best to dig into the options around in the category. It's just nice to get first hand knowledge on the optics I am looking at. I plan to get a look through as many of them as I can this weekend, I agree that picking them up and actually looking through the glass/checking out the reticle is definitely a big help in narrowing down options. I assume you're happy with your Leupold VX-R, are you using it for similar ranges as I indicated in my post? Thanks for chiming in.

Quote Originally Posted by matt2421 View Post
    if you are looking for 1-4x, one scope that doesn't get mentioned much is the leatherwood hilux cmr4. I own this scope as well as the vortex viper PST 1-4. I like them both, but the glass is crisper on the hi lux and I prefer its reticle as well. The vortex is brighter and has less tendency to wash out in the sunlight and it has an off feature in between each illumination setting which I like vs only 2 off settings on the hi lux. Between these 2 scopes, my personal opinion I give a slight edge to the hi lux.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I will do some research on the CMR4 as well, I do like that reticle. It is always nice to get a good idea of what's out there, and that one hadn't come up at all while looking around for a 1-4.

Quote Originally Posted by cev103 View Post
    Vortex Viper PST 1-4
    Yeah, this seems to come pretty highly recommended in this category. The no questions asked warrant really adds a lot of value as well, especially when mounting on a SCAR.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    what if you just got another eotech and a magnifier? other than that the vortex is supposed to be very good and I've seen a lot of good things about the hilux but have never personally used one.
    As to the EOTech, as much as I like them, I plan to wait until the dust settles with their lawsuit and they can illustrate what their sights can and cannot do going forward. I had considered adding a magnifier at one point before all the "drama" started. Maybe they will hit the drawing board and revise their sights in a way that prevents future issues. I would like some reassurances, otherwise, I may have to look into alternative solutions for other firearms as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bayonet14 View Post
    Hmmm dont want to break the bank look at that 1x6 Vortex Strike Eagle

I went with a Leupold Mk6 on my 17 in a Spuhr mount
    Yes, I have looked at the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6, seems like a nice optic. It's definitely heavier than the others I am looking at, and the clarity seems to be a bit below the others as well. But that would be expected when you're getting 1-6 at that price point. I would love the Leupold Mk6...however...this year NFA and 41P have been redirecting my resources!

Quote Originally Posted by 17heavy View Post
    Somewhat off topic, but how long after your filled out and sent your return request did it take for you to get an RMA from Eotech?
    I sent in my original refund request using the Return Authorization Request Form late Sunday night. It was approved on Tuesday, first thing in the morning. I shipped it back to them USPS Priority a few hours after that.

Also, decided to send in another that I WAS going to hang onto. I figured that in the worst case, I can repurchase a revised model IF/WHEN they come out with one, otherwise, I'll have funds available to replace it with something else. Hard to trust that they will come to a resolution when they have been so deceptive. So cash in hand while waiting it out seemed like a better option. Sent that request in on Tuesday afternoon and was approved this afternoon.
    Last edited by SnowSCAR; 12-10-2015 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Added EOTech approval time
    17heavy thanked this.

If I may put in my .02. I have looked through the Vortex, Burris, and Leuy. I find the Vortex PST Viper 1-4 to have more bang for the buck, eye relief ect. The glass on those can be hit or miss with either trash in the recticle that a towel, phone book and thump can take care of or its glass is ok not spectacular. Granted it's been a few years since I looked through one and those QC issues may be in check and the glass being better. The Razor HD line are well worth the coin, they are just heavy and as your post stated out of the price range. Some optics will cover the lack of glass quality by allowing more light in. Every Burris I have ever looked through is very nice and now they are partnered with Steiner, I would expect good quality on the mechanics. The eye box to me was ok but not as good as the Vortex. The Leuy, good class but I did not care for the eye box or the set up of the optic, still a good scope just wasn't what I personally like. I have never had a chance to handle a Leather Wood Optic so I cant offer anything on that.
    Last edited by Zebra644; 12-10-2015 at 10:57 AM.
    SnowSCAR thanked this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links