Who has their own range at home?

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Thanks Tree33Thanks

Thread: Who has their own range at home?

Who has their own range at home?

I have had an archery range for 6 years but I have been tired of lugging a lot of my AR-500 steel targets.

I have a Texas Star and Dueling Tree which are quite heavy and cumbersome for lifting in and out of the car.

I checked with local laws and I have a bit of land so I set up my own range.

I have a Last Stands Target stand that has several sized AR-500 plates. The dueling tree which can be transported since it’s not too heavy (55 lbs). The Texas Star which would not be fun lugging to the range and calling for a cold range every other minute. I have a few other target systems such as Arntzen targets but I’m debating just bring those to the range versus keeping them outside.

Anyone else have their own range? I was inspired by Hickok45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    krider24, BigBuckeyeGuy and FN47 thanked this.

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    Would love to have my own range. Unfortunately, in my residential area, they are not allowed. I would not mind moving to a more open area but the wife likes our home and our area and is not ready to move. So for the time being, I have to drive miles and miles away to get to the official outdoor range. Wish I knew someone around me that had a lot of property so that I could go there and shoot to my hearts content instead of "one shot every three seconds" or you will be expelled from the range. Come back on "Fast Fire" day and compete with the other 1,000 people for 21 lanes to shoot.

Pretty sick.
    CDR_Glock, LESTER and Hairlesswookiee thanked this.

At our Louisiana house (4 acres, primary residence) I have a 100 yard range right off the garage, slightly downhill into a creek bank. Very convenient for testing out reloads.

At the Texas house (39 acres, weekend getaway) I have a couple of steel targets on the back bank of the pond, 130 yards. I also have a narrow lane 300 yards through the trees into a natural backstop. I can sit back on my back patio and plink to my heart’s content. Sometimes I get to practice my nocturnal sniping, beavers & hogs usually. They mostly come at night. Mostly.
    Doug Stump

If you do what your enemy expects, you will die.

Keytruda came. Keytruda saw. Keytruda kicked my cancer's ass!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    You guys should look into building a shooting tunnel out of big ol piece of piping.

Big enough to burry the bottom half and insulate it/shoot through. Start a lawnmower nearby. Really keeps the echos and blasting down.
    CDR_Glock and FN47 thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
    You guys should look into building a shooting tunnel out of big ol piece of piping.

Big enough to burry the bottom half and insulate it/shoot through. Start a lawnmower nearby. Really keeps the echos and blasting down.
    Noise isn't a problem, as long as the wife's not home.
    CDR_Glock thanked this.
    Doug Stump

If you do what your enemy expects, you will die.

Keytruda came. Keytruda saw. Keytruda kicked my cancer's ass!

Have 40 acres but the farthest I can safely shoot is 100 yds without a man made berm. OP, how far back behind the targets does your property extend?
    LESTER and CDR_Glock thanked this.

77 acres. However, due to natural impedance (swamp cypress) I could only squeeze 330 yards out of it. Targets set at 25 then 100 yards. Then at 50 yard increments to 300. Then I have a full size steel deer at 330. All targets are 1/2" ar500. Public ranges are a pain in the @ss. I wish I had IV8888's set up.
    CDR_Glock and Big Muddy thanked this.
    "Never forget, even for an instant, that the one and only reason anybody has for taking your gun away is to make you weaker than he is, so he can do something to you that you wouldn't let him do if you were equipped to prevent it. This goes for burglars, muggers, and rapists, and even more so for policeman, bureaucrats, and politicians."

-Aaron Zelman and L. Neil Smith, Hope, 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    Have 40 acres but the farthest I can safely shoot is 100 yds without a man made berm. OP, how far back behind the targets does your property extend?
    250 yards. There’s a house up there, but I’m nowhere near shooting at it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Not at my house, but at work. We have a 2500' runway that doubles as a 800 yard rifle range on lunch break. Has a large natural backstop on one end. We also have one of those self contained 53' box trailer ranges that has its own power/ventilation. Can use the laser pistols on the screen with different scenarios, or raise the screen and use live fire up to .50 bmg. Not real fun with rifles unless they are suppressed.
    CDR_Glock thanked this.

My neighbor and I (both retired LEO's, me retired Navy CPO , him retired USMC) setup up a 30 yard pistol range on my property with 10" & 4" steel gongs and a 100 yard small rifle range on his property with two (now mutilated) Zombie "Taliban & SS nazi" targets and some 4" gongs hanging off rebar. It's so great to be in a state & county where you TRUST your neighbors with your house keys and if the SHTF, you got each others back.
    CDR_Glock thanked this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links