Sinister shooting

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Thanks Tree13Thanks

Thread: Sinister shooting

Left eye dominant shooting

Having just come back to shooting for the first time since childhood, one thing I noticed is that I’m cross-eye dominant. Probably has something to do with be “switched” from left handedness to right at a young age. In researching what to do with this situation, I’ve seen a few different options but the most popular seems to be shooting with the hand the same as dominant eye.

is this the best option?
    Last edited by Texchappy; 05-26-2020 at 10:54 AM.
    BART thanked this.

I'm cross eye dominant as well. Right handed shooter with left eye dominant. I found shooting with both eyes open and turning my head slightly to align my left eye with the sights works well for me.
    With that said, I'd like to hear others "solutions."

Quote Originally Posted by Texchappy View Post
    Having just come back to shooting for the first time since childhood, one thing I noticed is that I’m cross-eye dominant. Probably has something to do with be “switched” from left handedness to right at a young age. In researching what to do with this situation, I’ve seen a few different options but the most popular seems to be shooting with the hand the same as dominant eye.

is this the best option?
    KEEP YOUR MAGS TOPPED OFF!

I'm cross eye dominant (right hand, left eye) and have tried several remedies over the years, but what ended up working best for me was slightly canting (not gangsta style) the pistol to my dominant eye. I do shoot left handed some to maintain a degree of familiarity, but it wasn't a good permanent route for me as it sacrificed too much dexterity.
    Smurky thanked this.
    "When I mount the scaffold at last these will be my farewell words to the sheriff: Say what you will against me when I am gone, but don’t forget to add, in common justice, that I was never converted to anything." - H. L. Mencken

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Right handed, strongly left-eye dominant here. I shoot handguns righty and long guns lefty, both sighting using my left eye. No biggie.

FWIW "Hickok45" on youtube is also cross dominant, and shoots handguns righty but sights with his left eye. He shoots long guns right shoulder/right eye though.
    Smurky thanked this.
    My hovercraft is full of eels.

Quote Originally Posted by Texchappy View Post

is this the best option?
    I'm strong right arm and left eye dominant.

You can condition yourself to not shoot with your dominant eye. That's what I did.

Tape over the shooting glass's lens of your dominant eye. Ergo, you have no choice but to use the non-dominant eye. After a while, it's automatic and you no longer use the dominant eye.
    Smurky thanked this.

Another cross-eye dominate shooter here. (Right handed, left eye dominate) I'll shoot pistols right handed, but use my left eye. I shoot rifles right handed, using my right eye. (or both eyes open, if I have a red dot) It takes some getting used to, but I've never noticed a problem.
    Smurky and 1KPerDay thanked this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

The Latest and Greatest in TactiCool gear won't save you, but what's wrong with Surviving in Style?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

People's Republik of Dane county, Wisconsin
    Same here, Strong side right, left eye dominant. With a scoped rifle I have no issue with both eyes open shooting right. Tried to shoot left, wasn’t coordinated and didn’t have the patience to become comfortable with it. I Also tried conditioning like FNFALMAN, that did work for me but I wasn’t confident enough with it in competition under stress so went back do shoot pistol right handed left eye. I probably shouldn’t have done that. No issues with a dot, irons if I’m not careful the right eye can become an issue. I think that is because of Trying to train my right eye I got more screwed up. I would strongly 2nd FNFALMAN’s suggestion and stick with it.
    akitainu and mChrist thanked this.

Yeah, both eyes open on a RDS seems to make it a non-issue for a lot of folks, myself included. I should have added above that with long guns I shoot righty (eye and arm) without issue (other than my natural mediocrity) . It's only pistols that I've had to address. I tried training my eye like recommended, but I'm very left eye dominant and once a week at the range wasn't cutting it for reconditioning.
    Smurky thanked this.
    "When I mount the scaffold at last these will be my farewell words to the sheriff: Say what you will against me when I am gone, but don’t forget to add, in common justice, that I was never converted to anything." - H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Smurky View Post
    Same here, Strong side right, left eye dominant. With a scoped rifle I have no issue with both eyes open shooting right. Tried to shoot left, wasn’t coordinated and didn’t have the patience to become comfortable with it. I Also tried conditioning like FNFALMAN, that did work for me but I wasn’t confident enough with it in competition under stress so went back do shoot pistol right handed left eye. I probably shouldn’t have done that. No issues with a dot, irons if I’m not careful the right eye can become an issue. I think that is because of Trying to train my right eye I got more screwed up. I would strongly 2nd FNFALMAN’s suggestion and stick with it.
    The beauty about shooting with red dot is that it does solve the cross dominance issue.
    Texchappy and Smurky thanked this.

As an FYI to those that are cross eyed dominant.

Most, maybe 90%, are closet lefthanders. Left eyed dominant-right hand dominant.

Not to be confused with those other men in the closet...... that my Grandmother would label as "Contrary".

For instance, when I was in Catholic School we had no left handers-by Gods chosen will on how people were supposed to be. If you took up the pen or pencil with the left hand you would get a whack with the pointer stick across the back of the hand after a few seconds of writing...... and when you were least expecting it for maximum affect/impression to form The Pavlov reflex......rubbing the pain out of your hand every time you took up the pen with your left hand. If you repeatedly took up the pen or chalk with the left hand you got to meet the helping hand that was hung at the front of the class on the wall next to the chalk board. It was a cutting board of sorts, cut into the shape of a fully opened hand,...... with a grip attached to it, finger outline painted on it, and the words "HELPING HAND" written on it. The nun would say......"It looks like you need some help from the helping hand" and would take it down from the wall .......I think you can connect the dots from there on what was next.....

My sister was a left hander but she learned how to do everything right handed thanks to the "helping hand".

Now she is ambidextrous ........ as she is a natural left-hander ...... but was taught how to use her right hand as the dominant hand ....... and can effectively shoot from either side so the "helping hand" could be used today with our children to make them more adaptive to shooting challenges they confront.
    Last edited by Larry-in-Eastbay; 05-28-2020 at 07:20 PM.
    Texchappy thanked this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links